Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [Solved] Upgrading Siduction  (Read 14821 times)

RJ5050

[Solved] Upgrading Siduction
« on: 2014/11/22, 21:28:59 »
I have been reading through the Siduction manual. When I got to the dist-upgrade section it says that to update or upgrade the system log out of the window manager and log in to a terminal as root to execute apt-get update. It says that the command must be issued at init 3.  But when I issue apt-get update at init 3 I get a string of errors regarding inability to access http:// ... which makes sense to me because as I understand it init 3 should disable network access.

So how do I get this to work?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2014/11/22, 23:58:57 by RJ5050 »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Upgrading Siduction
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/22, 21:40:55 »
init 3 should not disable network access - thats a fault in debians systemd units - enable network and done
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

RJ5050

« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/22, 23:56:21 »
Thanks that did the trick!

Offline vilde

• User
Re: [Solved] Upgrading Siduction
« Reply #3 on: 2014/11/23, 12:03:38 »
I have been reading through the Siduction manual. When I got to the dist-upgrade section it says that to update or upgrade the system log out of the window manager and log in to a terminal as root to execute apt-get update. It says that the command must be issued at init 3.  But when I issue apt-get update at init 3 I get a string of errors regarding inability to access http:// ... which makes sense to me because as I understand it init 3 should disable network access.

So how do I get this to work?

Thanks.
I have never had that problem with init 3 and network.  But RJ5050, I do, as a lot of others, the "apt-get update" in x (init 5)  and then a "apt-get dist-upgrade -d" that will do all the downloads that needs to be done before the real distupgrade starts.  All this can be done in x (init 5) without problem. After that I go to init 3 and do the "apt-get dist-upgrade" without the (-d) part and apt will finish the d-u with the already downloaded files. There at least two advantage to do like that, one is that I in x can see if apt want to remove files, and if so check the forum and/or wait until another time with the d-u, the other advantage is that I can go on working with other things on the computer while apt is downloading all the necessary files for the d-u.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2014/11/23, 13:32:56 »
init 3 should not disable network access - thats a fault in debians systemd units - enable network and done

Right.  On two siduction systems with wired ethernet

Code: [Select]
systemctl isolate multi-user.target

will stop networking.  However

systemctl stop lightdm

will stop all user (init 5) processes, but it will leave networking up, so one can run d-u.  On two siduction systems that are wireless only,

systemctl isolate multi-user.target does not stop networking.  So there is some bug in the conversion of sysvinit to systemd, that affects ethernet networking.

« Last Edit: 2014/11/23, 13:37:41 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

RJ5050

« Reply #5 on: 2014/11/23, 14:54:56 »
Thanks for the excellent information everyone!

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/11/29, 18:17:01 »
1.  Is there any downside to using telinit instead of init?

2.  Is there any downside to using sudo (te)linit 6 from a terminal instead of the gui restart or         sudo shutdown -r now