Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] two attacks against synaptic (and packagesearch)  (Read 3452 times)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Hello,

of course, I wouldn't touch synaptic with a ten-foot pole.

But yesterday our user JohnML has informed us that synaptic and debian packagesearch cannot be started.

Besides of the libept transition there is also a packaging issue in libept1.4.16:
The package doesn't contain the 4.x series of libept but has a 5.x content.

So you can't install libept1.5.0 because both packages have the same file libept.so.1.aptpkg5.0
root@sidbox:~# apt-get install libept1.5.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libept1.5.0
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 118 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/89.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 271 kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 692027 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libept1.5.0_1.1+nmu2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libept1.5.0:amd64 (1.1+nmu2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libept1.5.0_1.1+nmu2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libept.so.1.aptpkg5.0', which is also in package libept1.4.16:amd64 1.0.14+b2
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-22) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libept1.5.0_1.1+nmu2_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

At least I was able to start packagesearch after creating a symlink:
Code: [Select]
~# ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libept.so.1.aptpkg5.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libept.so.1.aptpkg4.16Of course i can't promise for correctness.

A general advice: Don't break your system by using synaptic.

Take care and have fun!
greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2015/11/29, 17:52:36 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
Re: two attacks against synaptic (and packagesearch)
« Reply #1 on: 2015/11/28, 20:49:44 »
After a du last night package search also doesn't run on my system. I do not use synaptic.

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/11/28, 21:28:34 »
I don't use packagesearch for installing... just for looking packages available. The manual says
Debian Package Search GUI applicationapt-get update apt-get install packagesearch [/color][/size]When you first start Debian Package Search you need to adjust Packagesearch>Preferences to use apt-get.[/size][/size]Please do not use Packagesearch to install packages, use it only as a GUI search engine. Upgrading packages and installing new packages without stopping X can cause problems. Please read Installing a new package.[/size][/size]On initial use you may be prompted to install deborphan. Please use with care.[/color][/size]Search can be done by[/color][/size]pattern[/q]
[/font][/color]
  • tags (based on the debtags system, a new way of categorizing Debian packages)
  • files
  • installed status
  • orphaned packages
  • [/size]Additionally, information about the packages is displayed, including the files belonging to them. Please read the Help>Contents for a full explanation on how to use the Debian Package Search GUI application. At the moment the GUI is in English only.[/color]
    [/l]

"Many people live and die..., and all they do is process groceries."
                  H. Peavey

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/11/29, 12:37:01 »
Sometimes I use synaptic searching for packages, can't I do it any more? Shal I do something to be able to use synaptic again? I don't really understand this, this warning?

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
[solved] two attacks against synaptic (and packagesearch)
« Reply #4 on: 2015/11/29, 17:51:56 »
Hello,

my latest dist-upgrade did upgrade packagesearch and libept1.5.0,
so packagesearch is useable again.

A little remark on graphical tools

With an unstable system you easily get to the point where you need to use commandline tools.
It's a matter of training to use apt in your daily workflow - that's my main concern against graphical tools.

synaptic ignores some apt settings (e.g. Default-Release) and requires extra attention.
I don't like it's attitude to run only with root priviledge even when no action is taken.

packagesearch really is a frontend to apt-get (or aptitude), so it's 100% compatible.
It runs without root privilege and may assist you if you prefer to work with graphical tools.

greetings
musca

Offline sedonix

• User
Re: [solved] two attacks against synaptic (and packagesearch)
« Reply #5 on: 2015/11/29, 20:46:41 »
Ah, synaptic has been returned with all its glorious "gui"ness.

Sometimes I use synaptic searching for packages, can't I do it any more? Shal I do something to be able to use synaptic again? I don't really understand this, this warning?

The reason you use siduction is so you have a choice. I choose to use all functions of synaptic. Did I come here whining for the day or two it didn't work? Never! :P

Offline brummer

• User
    • http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/
« Reply #6 on: 2015/11/30, 05:59:21 »
I choose to use all functions of synaptic. Did I come here whining for the day or two it didn't work? Never! :P

Yep, same here.  :P

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2015/11/30, 10:31:18 »

A little remark on graphical tools

With an unstable system you easily get to the point where you need to use commandline tools.
It's a matter of training to use apt in your daily workflow - that's my main concern against graphical tools.

A broken package in sid, shock horror. I don't think there will be many if any "new" siduction uers so I think we all know the pros and cons of using synaptic without being lectured  to.This thread seems to be an over reaction to a normal Sid event.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: 2015/11/30, 11:37:57 »
I don't think there will be many if any "new" siduction uers ...

Why not?  Did I miss a big announcement about the end of Sid?

BTW I do appreciate hearing about broken packages, even if I don't personally use them.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2015/11/30, 12:06:21 »
I don't think there will be many if any "new" siduction uers ...

Why not?  Did I miss a big announcement about the end of Sid?

BTW I do appreciate hearing about broken packages, even if I don't personally use them.

We all appreciate notice of  broken packages, it was the dramatic headline " two attacks against synaptic" there was no attack just human error packaging.

To be a new siduction user you will have to overcome the challenge of installing it, not so simple at the moment due to the age of the isos and the many changes since their creation. All understandable and unavoidable but real.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: [solved] two issues with synaptic (and packagesearch)
« Reply #10 on: 2015/11/30, 19:11:06 »
Hello sedonix and titan,

thanks for your feedback and I think, I can agree.

greetings
musca