Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [solved] getting actual plasma 5.x and kf5 stuff  (Read 4806 times)

holgerw

[EN] [solved] getting actual plasma 5.x and kf5 stuff
« on: 2015/05/26, 13:17:39 »
Hi,

I've tested the actual Netrunner 16 with plasma 5.3 and actual kf5 applications and I'm impressed.

In my opinion Netrunner 16 is a nice distribution, it is easy to install and to administrate.

I want to have actual kf5 and plasma with siduction. What's a proper way to get this? My idea:
1. Installing indian summer siduction nox
2. Make a dist-upgrade to have an actual base system
3. Adding necessary sources for xorg, kf5 and plasma 5.

Which repos I've to add?

Is there a meta-package, which brings a basic kf5 desktop environement?

Kind regards,
  Holger
« Last Edit: 2015/05/27, 10:44:43 by holgerw »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: getting actual plasma 5.x and kf5 stuff
« Reply #1 on: 2015/05/26, 22:15:23 »
Hi Holger,

please follow this link to install Santa's packages for the next generation of KDE. Works fine for me. You need to be aware, that in the end we do not guarantee a clean upgrade path for this, since we are not sure what our final implementation will be.

The packages that live in debian experimental at the moment are incomplete and not usable.

greetz
devil

holgerw

« Reply #2 on: 2015/05/27, 06:41:18 »
Hi Ferdi,

thanks for your answer. I've got a siduction with kf5 stuff the following way:
1. Installing indian summer nox
2. D-U (ran into trouble with dbus, a temporary remove with  --force-all helped)
3. Adding xorg and icewm (for a fallback)
4. Adding kdenext unstable and kdenext kde-framework repos
5. installing sddm and further kf5 stuff

With kf5 and plasma 5.2 it is possible to work, but sometimes plasma cráshes. On Netrunner 16 with plasma 5.3 it's better.

When prepairing the next siduction kf5 release, please try to take latest plasma stuff.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/05/27, 07:08:22 »
I do not have these crashes here, but yes, the repo is not all that current at the moment.

greetz
devil

holgerw

« Reply #4 on: 2015/05/27, 10:09:13 »
Hi Ferdinand,

well, I've tested some Window Decoration Themes, maybe this causes the crashes.

Besides siduction  I'll install Netrunner Rolling, based on Manjaro. Manjaro has actual plasma 5.3 and kf5, so I've a good possibility to compaire with siduction. Netrunner 16 has actual plasma 5 and kf5 stuff, but I don't like the adapted sudo concept from Kubuntu and reactivation of root account is combined with some trouble.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: [solved] getting actual plasma 5.x and kf5 stuff
« Reply #5 on: 2015/05/27, 17:20:22 »
@holgerw - manjaro? pacman-based? In that case one could try arch or kaos - maybe kaos is the best kde 5 experience one could have.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

holgerw

« Reply #6 on: 2015/05/27, 20:52:24 »
Hi Alf,

maybe kaos is the best kde 5 experience one could have.

Oh, thanks for that hint. Hm, perhaps I should kaOS give a further try, I've testedf it some months ago but was not so impressed. The font represantation was unsharp, but okay, with actual plasma 5.3 and kf5 stuff it may be better now.

Apart from that plasma 5.2 and kf5 are useable in siduction, sometimes plasma crashes but then restarts properly.

Kind regards,
  Holger

holgerw

« Reply #7 on: 2015/05/28, 09:20:14 »
Hi,
it seems, that kaos is not a distribution for me:
- installer does not allow to deactivate grub
- kf5 applications show a mix of englisch and german localisation
- no Mail Client with gui in repo
- Firefox deines to appear in german localisation, the de-packages is installed

siduction ships with older plasma and kf5 stuff, but comes with proper localisation.

Kind regards,
  Holger
« Last Edit: 2015/05/28, 09:32:29 by holgerw »

Santa

« Reply #8 on: 2015/05/29, 20:31:17 »
Hi,
it seems, that kaos is not a distribution for me:
- installer does not allow to deactivate grub
- kf5 applications show a mix of englisch and german localisation
- no Mail Client with gui in repo
- Firefox deines to appear in german localisation, the de-packages is installed

siduction ships with older plasma and kf5 stuff, but comes with proper localisation.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Hello Holger,

I have been busy the latest weeks, but I finished my exams this week, so I hope will have a look at plasma 5.3 soon.

holgerw

« Reply #9 on: 2015/05/30, 01:23:24 »
Hi Santa,

thanks for your time spending in new kf5 stuff.

I have been busy the latest weeks, but I finished my exams this week, so I hope will have a look at plasma 5.3 soon.

Things like exams and first of all private buisiness are much more important, so I'll be patient :-) It is nice, that you investigate your time in siduction and kf5 packaging.

One question: Would it be possible to get actual digikam 4.10.0? Or will this be combined with too much trouble for you? I don't want to get cute with you (hope this is correct english).

Kind regards,
  Holger

belze

« Reply #10 on: 2015/06/05, 13:12:43 »
I’m using gentoo (again) since last December to track kf5, plasma and kde-apps development.
I'm with kf5.10+plasma-5.3 and kde-apps-15.04.1 and i'm very happy with it. Sometimes i boot this box (not on SSD) and i'm impressed: fast, stable (even with kdepim 4.14.8!!!!!) and nice.
If you want i can share configs to help you building it, pm me.

Santa, i tried to build self-made packages using kdesrc-build but i had a lot of problems setting up all. I tried to use git from debian experimental - this went even worst. I'm not asking you to write a how-to, but it would be nice to have some hints/tips on how your work is made! [i admit i'm not following this forum as i did in the last years, maybe you did it i missed it). Thanks in advice.

Santa

« Reply #12 on: 2015/06/22, 21:33:20 »

Hi belze,

[snip]

Santa, i tried to build self-made packages using kdesrc-build but i had a lot of problems setting up all. I tried to use git from debian experimental - this went even worst. I'm not asking you to write a how-to, but it would be nice to have some hints/tips on how your work is made! [i admit i'm not following this forum as i did in the last years, maybe you did it i missed it). Thanks in advice.

Well, the answer is not simple for someone which is not familiar with packaging.

I started to work on debian packaging kde software in 2009, so I have now various years of experience in this area. In March 2013, in a true homage to Julius Caesar's death, I got expelled from the debian qt/kde "team" so I ended up packaging kde's software for siduction. The last year, given there was no frameworks/plasma5 packaging from debian's people at all, I started to contribute to kubuntu, making their packaging a bit more compatible with sid[uction] so I could re-use their packaging here. From a technical point of view, I acted like if I were still working for debian. The funny thing here is that debian ended up adopting the kubuntu's packaging too, so apparently my contributions in kubuntu will end up in debian, regardless of my exile.

The paragraph above is actually a longer and unpleasant story, so let's move on. I'm currently doing a port of kubuntu/debian's packaging applying some changes on top. I do these changes with some scriptery available here:
https://gitlab.com/siduction-tools/pkg-kde-automation/commits/master

So this is my current workflow for KDE Frameworks. Plasma 5 and KDE Applications:

1. I sync my git local clones to the best kubuntu's branch to base our packaging (currently kubuntu_wily_archive)

2. I apply my changes with the scriptery mentioned above.

3. I build the source packages using the scriptery mentioned above and upload them to a "private" place of kdenext. The repository kdenext is hosted by a siduction server and is using reprepro to provide the repository.

4. Once the souce packages are uploaded, I have 3 virtual machines to build automatically the binary packages (i.e. the debs containing the built kde software) these 3 virtual machines are hosted in a server located in the office of my local linux user group, inside my university. There is a huge upload bandwith in my university to upload the resulting debs, and that's why I have that server there. The 3 virtual machines are running ubuntu server LTS, and this is what they do:
* wannabuild - it has a wannabuild installed. wannabuild is the software I use to have a database of the packages status, so a machine with a buildd installed can check out this database, build the *.deb's and upload them to the private place of kdenext.
* builldd - it has a buildd installed, so it checks the wanna-build database, builds the *.deb's for 64 bit and uploads them to the private place of kdenext.
* buildd32 - same as buildd, but for 32 bits packages
This setup of kdenext + my 3 virtual machines are, in practice, like an ubuntu ppa.

5. At some point the buildd machines mentioned in "5." will either finish the package building or will get stuck with some problem which will need manual intervention by me, usually it's that the packaging needs any change. So I do the changes in the packaging I need to do; each manual change in the packaging falls into any of these categories:
a) It's interesting for kubuntu: I send the patch to kubuntu's people so I don't have to apply the change the next time. NOTE: If the change gets applied in kubuntu it will probably end up in debian, since the packages available in debian are based on kubuntu's packages as well, in fact, the packages uploaded to debian experimental are a poor outdated port of kubuntu's packaging.
b) I can't convince kubuntu's people to include my change or get's too much talking with them (already happened for very important changes): I add them to my scriptery, so I don't have to do the changes manually the next time.
c) The change it's not relevant to kubuntu: I add the change to my scriptery

6. When everything is built I have a tool to check automatically the packages for problems, my tool provides me a web page similar to this one:
http://qa.kubuntu.co.uk/kf5-status/build_status_5.10.0_wily.html
This tool is a for of the tool used by kubuntu's people to generate that status webpage, it's source code is available here:
https://gitlab.com/siduction-tools/kdenext-build-status/commits/master
If I found relevant problems checking the webpage generated by this tool, I usually do the needed changes in packaging and I repeat the same steps mentioned in "5." depending if my change falls into the category a) b) or c)

7. I also have a tool to check the installability of the packages, if there is something which needs to be fixed I fix it. The source code of this tool is available here:
https://gitlab.com/siduction-tools/kdenext-installability
I try to send back the changes to kubuntu if possible as explained in "5."

8. When everything seems reasonably fine, I publish the packages and write a post in "Upgrade Warnings".

9. Depending on the feedback of you, the users, I may do some further changes in the packaging in the next days.

belze

« Reply #13 on: 2015/06/23, 13:53:04 »
santa thank you for posting this COMPLETE diary. Thank you for sharing such kind of informations.