Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Siduction 2013.2, Xfce, Radeon: Closing laptop lid always suspends, can't wake!  (Read 4719 times)

SuspiciousLizard

I'm having a power management problem that started with a clean install of Siduction 2013.2 (AMD64) with Xfce.  I'm currently using the open source radeon driver, in case it matters.  My system is up-to-date and running the 3.14-2 kernel.

No matter what settings I set in the Xfce power manager GUI, the laptop will always go into a suspend or hibernate mode (not sure which) whenever I close the lid.  Even if I tell it to do nothing when the lid closes, it suspends anyway.  Once it suspends, nothing will wake it: It's totally unresponsive to the keyboard, and hitting the power button tries to wake it, but the screen just flashes gray every once in a while.  Even Alt+SysReq+RSEIUB doesn't work, and I have to physically power down the machine and reboot to get back to work.  This is time-consuming and annoying for obvious reasons, and it's also probably bad for my hard drive.

I don't think it's a Linux hardware compatibility problem:
I previously used [an up-to-date] Siduction 2012.2 install with the MATE desktop (from the MATE developers' repositories), and the power management worked fine.  The power manager obeyed the settings in the MATE GUI, and suspend/resume worked as expected.  I ran into some unrelated problems a month ago that convinced me to do a clean install and give Xfce a chance, and that's when my power management problems started.

My Xfce power manager GUI settings are apparently being ignored, so that seems to indicate there might be a disconnect between the GUI and the actual system settings, but it still wouldn't explain why the machine won't wake.  The problem might also have something to do with systemd, because I don't think my 2012.2 install ever used it (I could be wrong though).  I've tried searching the forums and the Internet in general for Xfce power management problems, but I haven't found anything quite like this.

Does anyone else have this problem?  If so, has anyone solved it?  I can't imagine I'm the only one, but I haven't seen anyone here talking about it.  Thanks for any insights! :)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
You could try to add
Code: [Select]
HandleLidSwitch=ignore to /etc/systemd/logind.conf or play with the other options there that pertain to lid or suspend. Let us know how that goes.

greetz
devil

SuspiciousLizard

Thanks devil!  That solved half of the problem: If I set HandleLidSwitch=ignore, I can close the lid without suspending.  I guess systemd has taken over handle button functions, and xfce4-power-manager just isn't systemd-aware yet, so it's changing settings in the wrong place?  I wonder if the Xfce developers are aware or even care, considering how controversial systemd has been.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't explain why suspending the machine sends it into a coma it can't wake from, and /etc/systemd/logind.conf doesn't seem to have any options relevant to this.  I can live with it like it is, but this thing gets really hot, so it would be nice to suspend/resume at will from time to time.  Since resume worked okay with 2012.2 and MATE, any idea what change may have broken this?

EDIT: I just read that some people have fixed suspend/resume problems by adding acpi_sleep=nonvs to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub, but that's not working for me.  I've also tried different search terms and stumbled across a few other resources, like this one.  Running pm-suspend throws the machine into a coma too, so I'll start looking into the diagnostic steps here.
EDIT2: That looks like a dead-end, because the kernel wasn't compiled with CONFIG_PM_DEBUG set.
« Last Edit: 2014/05/05, 03:57:34 by SuspiciousLizard »

mxmehl

I had the same problems like SuspiciousLizard (thanks for reporting!) and the workaround by devil solved it perfectly as far as I can see.

"Unfortunately" I don't have the same issues with the suspend mode, it's working - just like before.