Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Solved: login and halt problems  (Read 2689 times)

dartex

[EN] Solved: login and halt problems
« on: 2014/08/07, 21:22:00 »
hi, I have these 2 problems since some weeks.
I don't know if they are related or not, and if it's due a du...

- login: kdm doesn't start automatically, I have the textual login screen, then I have to "startx", and then it works as usual.

- halt: if I exit from kde with buttons, I return to the textual login screen. if I "halt" from konsole it works. but, in any case, the screen remain with a black screen and the text "system halted", and the computer remain turned on.

any idea?
do you need some more info?

thanks!
« Last Edit: 2014/08/08, 21:04:19 by melmarker »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: login and halt problems
« Reply #1 on: 2014/08/07, 22:04:44 »
long answer short: we do not use and support kdm anymore. Reasons:
* kdm is dead and abandoned
* kdm don't play well with systemd
* kdm will not be the next official KDE Login Manager

For the time beeing we go with lightdm - until we find something better. To install lightdm go to init3 and:

Code: [Select]
apt-get purge kdm
apt-get install siduction-settings-lightdm-gtk-december

Don't be afraid of the gtk part in the packagename, thats intentional because no one wants to configure the ubuntu kde greeter.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

dartex

« Reply #2 on: 2014/08/07, 22:16:49 »
thank you very much!!! ;)

just a question... if I had kdm and it did work...
why suddenly it doesn't work anymore?  :o

it fixes also the shutdown problem?

I'll try!

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2014/08/08, 00:14:12 »
new systemd eventually - we encountered several problems with systemd and kdm over time and decided not to use it anymore for that reason. Ok - and i'm lazy, i don't analyse and fix dead horses. 8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

dartex

« Reply #4 on: 2014/08/08, 09:57:34 »
it works perfectly now!!! ;)

it was so easy... :D

I have other 2 problems, maybe it's easy to solve also them, but I'll open a new topic.