Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Qt 5.4.2 + KDE frameworks 5.11 + Plasma 5.3.1 + Apps 15.04.2  (Read 6981 times)

Santa

Hi,

There is a new batch of updates in kdenext/kde-frameworks. Installation intructions are available here:
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

The software updated in kdenext/kde-frameworks is the following:
Qt libraries: 5.4.2
KDE Frameworks: 5.11.0
Plasma: 5.3.1
KDE Applications: 15.04.2

Cheers.

holgerw

Hello @Santa,

thanks, I'll start a further test, because I want to change my partitioning, so I've to install Antergos, Manjaro and Siduction once again.

I'll start with indian summer KDE 64 bit, I'll reduce the mess of KDE applications before installing, because I don't like kdepin stuff and I don't need kdegames and some other software.

After installation and a dist-upgrade I'll continue as described here:
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

I'll give information about the procedure.

Kind regards,
  Holger

holgerw

Hello,

just a short report:
I've taken indian summer lxde as basic system
After dist-upgrade and adding kdenext and kdenext kf5 repo, I've installed the following stuff:
kde-standard plasma-desktop kde-l10n-de sddm

kf5 starts slow, when trying to change kmenu style I get a crash of kdeinit5.

After installing metapackage kdesdk kf5 starts fast and a change of kmenu style works.

When installing kdesdk I see some packages like dolphin. In my opinion metapackage plasma-desktop or kde-standard should contain dolphin installation because it is a core application.

Kind regards,
  Holger

P.S.: Please add konsole also to metapackage plasma-desktop. And please give a short description, how to add kf5 to a siduction installation. The description here  https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction is for people, who have already installed kde. Perhaps other users with lxde, xfce4 or gnome also want to test new kf5 stuff.
« Last Edit: 2015/06/15, 07:22:18 by holgerw »

Offline Pip

• User
I just did an update on the broken system from before and it now starts up. I also found that changing the menu causes errors. I've not yet tried installing kdesdk, but somewhere along the upgrades (prior to the last one) I lost my Broadcom WiFi. So I've got a bit of fiddling to do before trying it out again.
Thanks for the updates.

tmhind2

Santa, thanks for your help and assistance the latest upgrade corrected the problems I was experiencing with that black screen.  Appreciate all the fix's the kde folks have provided!  ;D

krisbee

Santa,

Appreciate the updates, but I can't get KDE5 to function in VirtualBox.  Started with a fully updated kde4 standard install and added kdesdk before doing the two step upgrade. Lightdm is still in place.

After logging on , the screen goes blank and there is a delay before the KDE5/Plasma5  desktop loads.  I do get the default panel now, but it is unresponsive.  Apps do not launch etc.

Guest additions were already installed before doing the updates. Turning off mouse integration and auto display resizing makes no difference.  With systemd, you can't switch to a console to look around, you have to use a liveCD to mount the VM. (Or have I missed another way?)

Any ideas what to look for?

krisbee

A brief update - KDE5/Plasma5 now working in Vbox.  Looking at .xseesion-errors it was a vboxvideo not working with 3D Accleration enabled.

Santa

Hi,

I have pushed again a small batch of updates, kde-telepathy was upgraded to 15.04.2 and digikam to 4.10.0 also I made a few fixes, see below:

kf5 starts slow, when trying to change kmenu style I get a crash of kdeinit5.

After installing metapackage kdesdk kf5 starts fast and a change of kmenu style works.

There was a missing dependency in a couple of packages, fixed.

When installing kdesdk I see some packages like dolphin. In my opinion metapackage plasma-desktop or kde-standard should contain dolphin installation because it is a core application.

Thanks for noticing, these packages are now installed by kde-standard and kde-full.

P.S.: Please add konsole also to metapackage plasma-desktop. And please give a short description, how to add kf5 to a siduction installation. The description here  https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction is for people, who have already installed kde. Perhaps other users with lxde, xfce4 or gnome also want to test new kf5 stuff.

Installation instructions updated with your suggestion.

holgerw

Hello @Santa,

thanks for your work. I'll make a further test, starting with lxde 64 Bit flavour of siduction again.

Kind regards,
  Holger
« Last Edit: 2015/06/17, 12:17:31 by holgerw »

Offline reddark

• User
    • http://www.klangruinen.de/
thanks ... my cpu is 3-8% now ;)

:D

holgerw

Re: Qt 5.4.2 + KDE frameworks 5.11 + Plasma 5.3.1 + Apps 15.04.2
« Reply #10 on: 2015/06/19, 08:44:40 »
Hello Santa,

I've installed siduction lxde again and after a dist-upgrade I've added package kde-standard kde-l10n-de sddm and further kf5 stuff.

I've got a kf5 with dolphin, konsole and other core applications, thanks for your work.

One suggestion: kde-standard should contain a phonon-backend package gstreamer or vlc for having sound under kf5. I think, in most cases both backends do the job.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2015/06/21, 02:13:25 »
Cannot install two muon packages and some app-data related
Some ubuntu debs are recommended there
Shall I add an Ubuntu repository?
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #12 on: 2015/06/21, 02:54:33 »
muon
Quote from: ralul
Cannot install two muon packages and some app-data related
Some ubuntu debs are recommended there
Shall I add an Ubuntu repository?

Curious as why you would mix ubuntu with debian or even use a package manager (muon) ?

You do know that ubuntu is not binary compatible with debian right
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2015/06/21, 12:11:54 »
I got it:  muon is just a plasma-desktop recommends, which I can forbid
resolved, but this could be removed from package definition
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #14 on: 2015/06/21, 12:25:54 »
AFAICT muon is not now and has never been included in Debian packages.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO