Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] apt vs. apt-get  (Read 2754 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] apt vs. apt-get
« on: 2015/11/30, 23:10:37 »
For some days I have been playing with apt and apt-get -- I have been comparing the performance of
Code: [Select]
apt-get dist-upgrade

and

apt full-upgrade

Today there was a condition on one of my systems where there was a new package to be installed, a package removal, and multiple upgraded packages. Comparing the two methods, I got identical results.  This suggests to me that I can safely move to apt for upgrading my siduction systems.  Does anyone have information to the contrary?

Thanks.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: apt vs. apt-get
« Reply #1 on: 2015/11/30, 23:35:28 »
it's basicly the same - only nuances differ - there is no bash-completion for apt right now and there are some switches on by default - so on can assume roughly the same behaviour.

apt upgrade = apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs
apt dist-upgrade = apt-get dist-upgrade

both apt  with some fancy stuff
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/12/04, 15:30:02 »
Quote from: melmarker
it's basicly the same - only nuances differ - there is no bash-completion for apt right now...

quick'n'dirty solution:
cp /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/apt-get /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/aptIn file /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/apt replace 2x apt-get and 2x apt_get with apt.

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/01/14, 17:19:28 »
Hi,

and if you like you can add the string "full-upgrade" to the file apt from my posting above. (You'll see where...)

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/01/14, 18:09:01 »
Apt 1.2, bound to hit Unstable tomorrow, has completion for apt. Also, using apt will from here on remove debs from /var/cache/apt/archives after the install is done (can be overriden). apt-get will keep debs, as it did up to now.

greetz
devil