Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] A few questions and suggestions  (Read 3389 times)

mirix

[EN] A few questions and suggestions
« on: 2011/12/19, 11:45:28 »
Hello,

I have a few questions:

- Is siduction a fork of sidux or a fork of aptosid?

- Is it going to be entirely forked or will it be a compatible derivative?

- I moved from sidux/aptosid to Debian Stable due to the recurrent problems with the X-server and with the support for Nvidia graphics cards. How will this issues be handled in siduction?

- Will you target "main stream" users by including proprietary drivers, multimedia codecs, a pre-configured desktop, etc?

And one suggestion:

- Besides KDE, please, include at least one "light-weight" desktop environment such as Xfce.

Kind regards,

Miro

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
A few questions and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2011/12/19, 12:00:13 »
Hi Miro,

as aptosid is the successor to sidux, we are technicaly a fork of aptosid. Its compatible, we share the same codebase (debian sid)
As i do not know what you mean with "recurrent problems with the X-server" i cannot answer that. Whoever needs Nvidia proprietary drivers, will use them. they payed for the card and want to put it to use. We will of course first try to 'sell' the nouveau driver, where suitable. We of course support the nvida propretary driver installed the debian way, if needed. We cannot support the Nvidia .run driver from their website.

We ship only free software in the 'main' section as we feel bound to the DFSG.That does not hinder a pre-configured desktop though.

We will ship KDE and XFCE in first preview/release. Maybe also LXDE on top, but thats not sure at this point in time.

greetz
devil

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: A few questions and suggestions
« Reply #2 on: 2011/12/20, 01:56:08 »
Mirix, siduction could be considered a fork of aptosid and this distro's more community based where people will have input on what direction siduction will take as well as development of each release.

@devil, how many releases a year you planning for siduction? At least 2 would be decent enough but 4 times a year's great

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2011/12/20, 02:15:52 »
Trying for 4, but not csarved in stone and no dates upfront.
On the other hand, if one comes up, we see no reason to be silent about it until its done. #we need and want help and input, so we will rather be verbal about upcoming releases.

greetz
devil

mirix

« Reply #4 on: 2011/12/20, 23:00:00 »
Provided it is essentially a rolling distro, frequent releases are not relevant for me. Reliability and quality control (as far as possible for an intrinsically unstable distro) are more important, in my opinion. As it is providing the required drivers more or less out of the box (as permitted by the law) and trying to make sure (again, as far as possible) that updates do not break essential parts of the system (of course, for a Sid-based distro, upgrades are a different business).