Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] New Here!  (Read 2909 times)

steve

[EN] New Here!
« on: 2011/12/31, 19:59:02 »
Distrowatch surprised me with news about "Siduction"!

Wow, a fork of aptosid. Interesting. Still amazes me  to see the Debian 'DNA' in so many distros.

I'd always been 'wary' of using the forum on aptosid, and look forward to a more pleasant experience here!

I thought I would test Siduction on my new toy (MBP) as follows:

MBP 8GB

VirtualBox 4.1.8 Oracle (configured as guest RAM 765MiB, Video RAM alloc 32Mib, VM HD 8Gib)
Installed KDE 64bit

The ISO downloaded fine and fast from a NA site.

Installation went fine although with a GUI that was different. No hiccups at all. After boot, net auto configured and was active without resorting to ceni. Very good!

Did the usual dist-upgrade dance without issue. Not many updates...

Next, I installed the VB guest additions, which installed without any additional headers or tools download. Great! (Not every distro is this easy)

After reboot, KDE and apps were snappy and functional.

Thanks Siduction team for a job well done.
Steve.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
New Here!
« Reply #1 on: 2011/12/31, 20:35:25 »
Hi Steve,

welcome to siduction. Glad to read, all went fine. And yes, we try to make user experience more pleasant than the other place.

greetz
devil

cphayes0882

RE: New Here!
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/01, 03:33:01 »
Hi steve, and hi everyone else, figured Id post under this thread as Im new here and dont wanna start a whole new thread to say hi :p   I jumped away from aptosid myself just today,   my install went completely smooth, no issues whatsoever.   Good to see if not a friendlier forum, at least one more user oriented.    Good job on this release devil and all who helped make it so.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: New Here!
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/01, 05:16:29 »
Quote from: "cphayes0882"
Hi steve, and hi everyone else, figured Id post under this thread as Im new here and dont wanna start a whole new thread to say hi :p   I jumped away from aptosid myself just today,   my install went completely smooth, no issues whatsoever.   Good to see if not a friendlier forum, at least one more user oriented.    Good job on this release devil and all who helped make it so.

Welcome to siduction and good you made it over to a more friendly environment. I myself is making the move to siduction and leaving that rats nest called aptosid behind :)

I'm sure there will be more people making the smart move to siduction too

UncleVom

RE: Re: RE: New Here!
« Reply #4 on: 2012/01/05, 02:37:21 »
I'm new here too and came via a visit to Distrowatch.
I've been a Linux user since 1997 and eventually ended up using Debian for most things which led me to try Kanotix after some frustration with raw sid.

I then followed the move to sidux and became frustrated with the creeping myopia, the freak out over smxi, choices that were forced upon me and things that could not be discussed.

I left to run raw sid again with surpringly little difficulty.  
Probably a little luck and what I had learned along the way.
I have testing, unstable, experimental mixes running on three computers.

Anyway I liked the basic concept of sidux and the initial community, but not the way it turned out, so I was pleased to see the arrival of siduction.

I'm currently checking it out on my netbook and may migrate more over soon.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Re: RE: New Here!
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/05, 03:02:54 »
Welcome UncleVom..your nick harks back to the old Kanotix days. Stay awhile and take one step beyond!