Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] How to switch from nvidia to intel video driver?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline vayu

• User
[EN] How to switch from nvidia to intel video driver?
« on: 2014/12/15, 20:25:34 »
My nVidia card stopped working. I switched to the built in Intel video by deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf and apt-get remove nvidia-driver.

Now the direct rendering doesn't work.  How can I enable direct rendering for Intel HD4000 video when nVidia was the last driver?

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: How to switch from nvidia to intel video driver?
« Reply #1 on: 2014/12/15, 20:31:51 »
update-alternatives --config glx
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/12/15, 20:58:32 »
update-alternatives --config glx

Thanks, that was all it needed.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/12/19, 18:59:43 »
The intel driver is working great.  On my next du there are several nvidia things to install.  I'd like to remove them but I know that some of my packages use some nvidia libraries that are unrelated to video drivers, so I cannot remove all nvidia.  Can some help me to remove what is part of the nvidia driver install? 
Here is what's installed:
Code: [Select]
$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  glx-alternative-nvidia                               0.5.1                                           amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  libegl1-nvidia:amd64                                 340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL libraries
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64                              340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
ii  libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386                               340.65-1                                        i386         NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
ii  libgles1-nvidia:amd64                                340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x libraries
ii  libgles2-nvidia:amd64                                340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x libraries
ii  libnvidia-eglcore:amd64                              340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries
ii  libnvidia-ml1:amd64                                  340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library
ii  nvidia-alternative                                   340.65-1                                        amd64        allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii  nvidia-cg-dev:amd64                                  3.1.0013-2                                      amd64        Cg Toolkit - GPU Shader Authoring Language (headers)
ii  nvidia-cg-toolkit                                    3.1.0013-2                                      amd64        Cg Toolkit - GPU Shader Authoring Language
ii  nvidia-driver-bin                                    340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii  nvidia-installer-cleanup                             20141201+1                                      amd64        cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                                 20141201+1                                      amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms                                   340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
ii  nvidia-kernel-source                                 340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-modprobe                                      340.46-1                                        amd64        utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes
ii  nvidia-settings                                      343.13-0.siduction.1                            amd64        tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-support                                       20141201+1                                      amd64        NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ii  nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64                            340.65-1                                        amd64        Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia                            340.65-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/12/19, 22:04:11 »
I looked what apt-get purge wanted to do with the whole list.  I removed one at a time from the list and tried again until I came up with the list that didn't want to add or remove anything not on the list.

That left me with keeping these nvidia-cg-dev:amd64 nvidia-cg-toolkit
and removing these:
Code: [Select]
glx-alternative-nvidia libegl1-nvidia:amd64 libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 libgles1-nvidia:amd64 libgles2-nvidia:amd64 libnvidia-eglcore:amd64 libnvidia-ml1:amd64 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-modprobe nvidia-settings nvidia-support nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia

Can anyone knowledgeable about the nvidia driver let me know if one of the ones I removed was not part of the nvidia driver?