Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Pinning Cups?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline hickamoungthesticks

[EN] Pinning Cups?
« on: 2023/03/03, 15:55:03 »

Newbie to Siduction, thus I beg pardon if my question whips up minor flames. Nonesuch is intended, however I do need to ask the question to understand the consequences for system upgrades if implementing the change(s) inquired of.
Were one to pin all Cups related packages to the today current packages will that mean one would no longer be able to update and upgrade the rest of the system?
The installation is Master's of War (installed the day after release, updated weekly of course ever watchful of forum upgrade warnings).  
My main use is gimp, inkscape dtp pre-production print proofs thus cannot tolerate the loss of quality in the cups dumbed down ipp drivers.
 So:
1: How best to pin the packages (as all today works with locally installed ppd)?
2: Ramifications for dist-update and full-upgrade?
3: Yes, eventually I'll have to ¨knuckle under¨ and purchase a new printer, after having time to verify the intended printer qualities with the production publisher master prints.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline eriefisher

• User
Re: Pinning Cups?
« Reply #1 on: 2023/03/03, 17:55:56 »
You could hold a package at a particular version. It will affect other packages I'm sure. See:
Code: [Select]
man apt-mark
« Last Edit: 2023/03/03, 18:07:00 by eriefisher »

Offline hickamoungthesticks

Re: Pinning Cups?
« Reply #2 on: 2023/03/03, 18:40:45 »
eriefisher:
Thank you, I'll read it.