Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Questions: differences with sid  (Read 5093 times)

mack-9

[EN] Questions: differences with sid
« on: 2012/06/23, 15:19:45 »
Hi all, I'm new to siduction and I wasn't able to find a clear answer anywhere, so I'll try asking here...

Can someone please explain the difference between siduction/aptosid and Debian sid? And what are the advantages over running sid?

Also, do the "customized" runlevels in siduction affect the user in any way? I always used debian but I never thought of changing the runlevels and don't know what kind of difference that makes at the practical level. E.g. do we really have to use dist-upgrade outside of an X session?

Thanks for any knowledge you can shed on this topic.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Questions: differences with sid
« Reply #1 on: 2012/06/23, 19:57:29 »
The manual will answer some of your questons.
I am quite busy atm, so not going into detail.
Difference is: it's release, sid is not. It's installed in a few minutes with a desktop of your choice, sid is not. We have much more recent kernels....
The runlevels don't have any effect on users. Dist-Upgrades with coponents of X and/or KDE should in any case be done outside of X.

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Questions: differences with sid
« Reply #2 on: 2012/06/23, 22:07:18 »
Hi mack-9, welcome to the forum!

Our Bluewater Manual is pretty good on these subjects -- just follow it.

Your running xerver software needs its dependent packages.  If new xserver-xorg packages come into the sid repos, and you try to dist-upgrade with X running, it's going to pull in the new packages and their dependencies, and then dpkg will try to replace/upgrade your existing packages (which are being used by the system at this very moment) with the new ones.  So you might get wreckage.  But if you do the dist-upgrade in runlevel 3, it's no problem -- the new packages replace the existing packages, and when you go back to runlevel 5 everything works like it should.  :wink:
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

holgerw

Re: Questions: differences with sid
« Reply #3 on: 2012/06/24, 07:59:23 »
Quote from: "devil"
I am quite busy atm, so not going into detail.

greetz
devil

Hi Ferdinand,

OT, sorry for that: But has this to do indirectly with a complete KDE4.8.4 in Sid now?
:-)

If not please ignore my question.

@mack-9: Wellcome here in our forum.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/06/24, 09:03:35 »
Holger,

reading the latest new item on the project blog might help with that :)

greetz
devil

holgerw

« Reply #5 on: 2012/06/24, 14:02:49 »
Quote from: "devil"
Holger,

reading the latest new item on the project blog might help with that :)

greetz
devil

Hello Ferdi,

sorry, my question was a little bit a rhetorical one. I've read about a new iso even yesterday :-)

The fix-release will happen on the evening of Sun, 2012-06-24 (if sid lets us). This fix release will bring KDE SC 4.8.4-x in the same complete set as it will go into Wheezy. With the freeze for the release of Wheezy starting on 2012-06-30, we want to use the time to upgrade to this packageset, as the one on 2012.1 Desperado was a very basic one. Besides that our  KDE SC image will default to Sqlite for use with akonadi instead of requiring mysql. Minor fixes to LXDE and XFCE complete the fix-release named 2012.1.1 Desperado Reloaded.

But to be sure your buisiness has to do with it I've asked here.

Kind and happy regards,
  Holger