Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Dist Upgrade has created corrupted kernel  (Read 2081 times)

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
Dist Upgrade has created corrupted kernel
« on: 2014/08/23, 07:29:57 »
I think the last dist upgrade created a corrupted kernel. I was upgrading from 3-13.5.
The new kernel flashes up a screen full  of errors when it tries to boot and never gets to the LUKS login line. I  think the dist upgrade errored out and never correctly completed. Thus the kernel was not properly built.
Booting to my old kernel still works. How can I either fix the new kernel or get rid of it?
Thanks
Bad

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: Dist Upgrade has created corrupted kernel
« Reply #1 on: 2014/08/23, 11:46:43 »
First, you can have a closer look on the error messages from the 'faulty' kernel with
Code: [Select]
journalctl -k -b -1   (show all kernel logs from the boot before last (-b -1) )That works if your last boot was with the newer one and then you rebooted to the current working one. Use -b -2/3/4 respectively for earlier boot attempts.

Second, to try to fix errors you could just try apt-get with '-f' and re-distupgrade and reinstall kernel
apt-get update
apt-get install -f
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-siduction-amd64 linux-headers-siduction-amd64

And last, to just get rid of the not wanted kernel and wait for better times to come just uninstall it with usual apt commands, as for example
apt-get purge linux-image-3.16-1.towo-siduction-amd64 linux-headers-3.16-1.towo-siduction-amd64
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline rueX

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/08/23, 17:26:14 »
@bad_aptitude

in those older kernel-days: i saved my d-u with: apt-get install sysvinit-core and/or systemd-sysv

might I am wrong? 

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2014/08/23, 19:04:46 »
hello rueX,

recently debian sid has switched the default init from sysvinit-core to systemd-sysv and you can't have both packages installed together with each other.

But the new sysvinit package  still provides the old sysvinit binary (not in /sbin/init !), which now can serve as a recovery method: You can modify your kernel command line and add this parameter (e.g. by pressing "e" key in the grub menu):
 init=/lib/sysvinit/init 
This will allow to boot with sysvinit without uninstalling systemd-sysv.
Beware: The systemd journal will not be used in this case.

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2014/08/23, 19:16:49 by musca »
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/08/24, 02:41:29 »
Thanks Der_bud.
After  fixing the DU , I finally had to uninstall the kernel. So I will wait for those better times. :-