Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Trying rc kernels ... some questions  (Read 2813 times)

A-username

[EN] Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« on: 2013/02/23, 19:01:06 »
Was hoping some more experienced Siduction users would offer insight or input on the subject.

Considering installing some of the rc kernels Siduction offers. Appears the software repos have up to 3.8.0-rc7 available.

Not sure what benefits or possible problems are involved in trying these kernels. Is anyone running these or has often used these kernels on everyday systems ? I'm assuming that trying the latest available would be adviseable ... but not sure.

Did you find any real benefits from using these kernels and what advice can you offer someone considering trying them ? Pitfalls and problems you can help others curious in this subject avoid ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
RE: Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« Reply #1 on: 2013/02/23, 19:06:34 »
rc-kernels was for testing those before release.
Now, since 3.8 final is available, it makes no sense for installing rc-kernels.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline ralul

• User
Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« Reply #2 on: 2013/02/23, 19:10:33 »
Linux-3.8 is not a Release Candidate any more. There is a siduction Release now (as ever from Towo, Thanks!)!

No, it is not recommended to run RC software.
I would not even recommend a released x.y.NULL version of Linux, but above x.y.4

Who are you, what is your Linux experience, why such a doubled anonymous user name?
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

A-username

RE: Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« Reply #3 on: 2013/02/23, 21:45:57 »
Thanks guys, didn't see 3.8 available in the repo's, am using a Sid distro that relies on Siductions repo's or just plain missed it altogether.

Towo ... the actual resident kernelmeister for Siduction ?! Yowza ... thanks for your efforts. Many nixers I know and respect have nothing but good things to say about the Siduction kernel(s) and the distro in general.

Been dorking around w Sid for roughly a yr. Still to be considered a noob, maybe a middling noob @ best. The username is a result of just not wanting to come up with a catchy username to join the forum. Needed to though ... Couldn't think of anywhere better to ask about Siduction related subjects than the Siduction community itself.

Will look more closely for the 3.8.0 entry in the repos.

Thanks again guys, now know rc kernel versions aren't something to mess around with just for the sake of a higher version number. Recently got a new high spec laptop and was hoping a kernel upgrade might help sort out some rough edges on it. Am used to my good ole crusty-trusty desktop and this new hardware is making me learn alot of gnu/nix issues I'd never had any reason to care about until now.

Offline ralul

• User
Re: RE: Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« Reply #4 on: 2013/02/24, 00:32:16 »
Quote from: "A-username"
Towo ... the actual resident kernelmeister
Ah, german spelling :)

The username is a result of just not wanting to come up with a catchy username
I think yours is the most catchy now :)

Recently got a new high spec laptop and was hoping a kernel upgrade might help sort out some rough edges on it.
Yes, the newest Linux release might help with newest hardware. Sometimes Towo misses to activate the newest drivers. No wonder, there are options in the hundreds. Don't hold back to inform about missings here in the forum!

A-username

RE: Re: RE: Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« Reply #5 on: 2013/02/24, 14:24:29 »
^ :D Thanks ..

Installed 3.8.0 ... installed fine, mostly ran fine. Noticed web browsing was sluggish and reverted back to an older kernel version. Didn't try to run down any poss missing wireless modules or drivers. Doubt there are any, I'd probably just end up shooting myself in the foot had I decided to mess with it anyway. Most my gnu/nix problems always end up being user error + self inflicted. Between Pebcak=( problem exists between chair and keyboard) and being an inherently lazy person. Just decided to leave well enough alone. ;)

Need to spend more time reading here and thanks to the Siduction community and the distro maintainers + mods here. Guessing this is one of the best resources online for people interested in Sid.

Offline ralul

• User
RE: Re: RE: Trying rc kernels ... some questions
« Reply #6 on: 2013/02/24, 16:05:03 »
I am sure you would get some interesting hints regarding wifi in the appropriate forum (hardware). "inxi" will help you delivering hw info.