Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] if Canonical will be our upstream  (Read 3580 times)

Offline ralul

• User
[EN] if Canonical will be our upstream
« on: 2013/11/30, 23:10:34 »
Now mostly it is the other way round. But if Debian chooses Upstart and not Systemd?

I just insalled the new Ubuntu. I simply use dbootstrap for that to not have deal with bugs of the gui installer. What I saw in package names is a long list of cut off systmed subprojects. The future perspective is this list to become even longer. This makes me think:

If Debian decides pro Upstart
we will get a Canonical filtered systemd in pieces?

libpam-systemd
systemd-services
systemd-shim
libsystemd-daemon0
libsystemd-journal0
libsystemd-login0
« Last Edit: 2013/11/30, 23:14:50 by ralul »
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: if Canonical will be our upstream
« Reply #1 on: 2013/12/01, 00:29:48 »
My guess is that those are pulled in by Gnome3.
And if Debian decides to go with Upstart, we will not walk down that road. Siduction will go with Systemd from Debian, which will not go away just because Debian uses Upstart.

greetz
devil

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2013/12/01, 00:47:01 »
Right - and i hope that debian does not decide for upstart. LightDM is enough ubuntu influence.

Anyway - this is Linux and the siduction builds with systemd has strongly improved (systemd has improved a lot). So there is no reason to think about upstart.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #3 on: 2013/12/01, 09:20:17 »
Which advantages might the usage of upstart bring to Debian - compared to systemd?
Susan | Hardware: SysProfile
Music-Profile: http://www.last.fm/de/user/spacepengu

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2013/12/01, 11:57:57 »
? ? ? ? - KEINEN

Absolut keinen - ausser dass man von Canonical abhängig ist, deren Scheiss debuggt uns Beta-Tester spielt. Und wenn die Leute lustig sind, dann veröffentlichen sie das dank CLA unter einer proprietären Lizenz.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/12/01, 15:10:26 »
It would have the advantage to also cover kfreebsd and Hurd, which systemd does not. I have no idea, how many users kfreebsd has, but it can't be many. But, knowing Debian Devs,  there is a good chance, Debian will go with Upstart.

greetz
devil
« Last Edit: 2013/12/01, 16:12:17 by devil »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #6 on: 2013/12/01, 16:51:20 »

But, knowing Debian Devs,  there is a good chance, Debian will go with Upstart.
That would be a very sad day
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/12/01, 20:11:28 »
But, knowing Debian Devs,  there is a good chance, Debian will go with Upstart.
That would be a very sad day
It will be decided by the Debian Technical Committee.
Three of the members are Canonical related:
But these guys had already promised to just take the technical stand with their desission.
« Last Edit: 2013/12/01, 20:21:00 by ralul »

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/12/01, 20:18:26 »
It would have the advantage to also cover kfreebsd and Hurd, which systemd does not. I have no idea, how many users kfreebsd has, but it can't be many.
That kfreebsd thingy is the important - for Debian more than Ubuntu: All the it students shall probe all of the alternatives.
(But maybe better the other way round - Debian kfreebsd a derivative ...)

@devil, didn't you once write a post to the Debian derivative mailing list about siduction? Perhaps you could announce there our decission? And ask opinions of the other derivative distributions?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2013/12/01, 22:14:47 »
sorry ralul - kfreebsd is a hobby of some people and hinder linux

http://popcon.debian.org/ - look at the kfreebsd line ~64 submissions against 65.000+ ca 100000 -

Wichtig is was anderes -

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/12/01, 22:54:37 »
ralul,

I will for sure promote our decision in all kinds of Debian related places and one of them is the derivatives-desk. But first I want a product shipping.

greetz
devil