Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Ruby issue -- is it just me, or a d-u problem?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Ruby issue -- is it just me, or a d-u problem?
« on: 2013/12/27, 15:40:04 »
This morning (Eastern U.S.):

Code: [Select]
root@imerabox:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  avahi-daemon bootlogd ffmpeg initscripts libav-tools libavahi-client3 libavahi-client3:i386 libavahi-common-data
  libavahi-common-data:i386 libavahi-common3 libavahi-common3:i386 libavahi-core7 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-qt4-1 libavcodec55
  libavdevice55 libavfilter3 libavformat55 libavresample1 libavutil52 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libpostproc52 libswresample0     
  libswscale2 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-damage0 libxcb-dri2-0 libxcb-dri2-0:i386 libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-glx0 libxcb-glx0:i386   
  libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render0 libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xfixes0       
  libxcb-xv0 libxcb1 libxcb1:i386 libxcb1-dev ntrack-module-libnl-0 ruby-gettext ruby-locale sysv-rc sysvinit-utils tor           
  tor-geoipdb whois                                                                                                               
52 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.                                                                   
Need to get 0 B/9,326 kB of archives.                                                                                             
After this operation, 238 kB of additional disk space will be used.                                                               
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]                                                                                                   
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot load such file -- locale/util/memoizable (LoadError)       
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'                                                       
        from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/gettext/class_info.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'                                             
        from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/gettext/text_domain_manager.rb:13:in `<top (required)>'                                   
        from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/gettext.rb:19:in `<top (required)>'
        from /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs:294:in `<main>'
E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: Ruby issue -- is it just me, or a d-u problem?
« Reply #1 on: 2013/12/27, 16:02:06 »
hi dibl,

not just you, but ruby-gettext in the debian bugtracker.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: 2013/12/27, 16:10:32 »
Thanks musca.  It says the package has been fixed, so we only need to wait for the new package to come to the mirrors. And also un-bugger apt-get.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2013/12/27, 16:47:37 »
With the newer ruby-locale package available via dist-upgrade -d, I went to /var/cache/apt/archives and used

dpkg -i --force-all ruby-gettext_3.0.3-1_all.deb and

dpkg -i --force-all ruby-locale_2.1.0-2_all.deb

to fix the apt-get/dpkg system.  After that, a normal d-u went through with no troubles.

demosthenese

« Reply #4 on: 2013/12/27, 16:50:17 »
It says the package has been fixed, so we only need to wait for the new package to come to the mirrors.

Actually the new version in the repository will not install with apt because of the existing problem. You may need to install using dpkg from the cache.

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/ruby-gettext_3.0.3-1_all.deb  /var/cache/apt/archives/ruby-locale_2.1.0-2_all.deb

EDIT:

OK  so you realized that while I was typing...

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2013/12/27, 16:53:36 »
Thank you demosthenese -- I wrote it because others might have the same trouble.  :)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #6 on: 2013/12/27, 17:29:29 »
Fun fact:
This bug was introduced by apt-listbugs.
Apt-listbugs should have warned you about its grave bug.
One possible solution would have been removal of apt-listbugs.

# LANG=C apt-get -s remove ruby-locale
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt-listbugs ruby-gettext ruby-locale
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 100 not upgraded.
Remv apt-listbugs [0.1.11]
Remv ruby-gettext [3.0.2-2]
Remv ruby-locale [2.0.9-1]
# _

cheers
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/12/27, 18:55:52 »
As far as I know removing apt-listbugs is a no-no. So I disabled /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10apt-listbugs by commenting (//) out all it's lines. I could then update ruby-gettext. Afterwards I re-enabled apt-listbugs and could then complete the du.

I never thought of dpkg -i --force-all in the heat of the moment