Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZNK7t....  (Read 6534 times)

buddlflink

[solved] aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZNK7t....
« on: 2013/10/24, 13:35:16 »
Hello everyone,

new libept1.4.12 (version 1.0.10), needed by apt, does not contain symbol _ZNK7tagcoll4coll4FastISsSsE13ge.

Install an older version of libept, as already described here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1165714.html

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZNK7tagcoll4coll4FastISsSsE
« Reply #1 on: 2013/10/24, 18:47:22 »
IMHO using aptitude in sid is like playing Russian Roulette, OTOH, if you know what your doing ...

I just wouldn't recommend someone *new to sid to use aptitude, it's to *smart for itself
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Ironwalker

« Reply #2 on: 2013/10/24, 19:25:23 »
People do not know that when aptitude is installed, they should run the curses version and set the options. I know not many realise there are options to be changed/set and looked at to make sure aptitude does not do things on its own. Once set correctly it handles things better than apt imo.

Whats the correct command to downgrade that libept file?

thanks

I tried addding aptitude back into update-alternatives as aptitude-curses is only showing now but that didn't work and it should have.

edit 2:05 pm

I will wait, it seems to be uploading to debian ftps now and is closed.

SubjSubject: Bug#727540: fixed in libept 1.0.11
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:34:06 +0000

Source: libept Source-Version: 1.0.11 We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of libept, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive. A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is attached. Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you have further comments please address them to 727540@bugs.debian.org, and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Changes: libept (1.0.11) unstable; urgency=low . * Added explicit template instantiation with the symbols aptitude needs.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/10/25, 00:41:28 »
Quote from: "Ironwalker"

Code: [Select]
apt-get install libept1.4.12/testing
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/10/25, 02:44:50 »
People do not know that when aptitude is installed, they should run the curses version and set the options. I know not many realise there are options to be changed/set and looked at to make sure aptitude does not do things on its own. Once set correctly it handles things better than apt imo.

thanks

I tried addding aptitude back into update-alternatives as aptitude-curses is only showing now but that didn't work and it should have.

edit 2:05 pm

I will wait, it seems to be uploading to debian ftps now and is closed.

SubjSubject: Bug#727540: fixed in libept 1.0.11
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:34:06 +0000

Source: libept Source-Version: 1.0.11 We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of libept, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive. A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is attached. Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you have further comments please address them to 727540@bugs.debian.org, and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Changes: libept (1.0.11) unstable; urgency=low . * Added explicit template instantiation with the symbols aptitude needs.

I know that apt-get is the recommended (and supported) way of dist-upgrading but what options are best set to make aptitude behave properly with Debian sid?  Perhaps maybe a thread in the "experimental" section would suffice for those who are adventurous to dare use aptitude with Sid.

buddlflink

« Reply #5 on: 2013/10/25, 10:46:54 »
Quote from: "michaa7"

I downloaded the package from debian.org and installed it via dpkg, since aptitude was broken at this moment.

Maybe it's like russian roulette, with one difference: Afterwards, you can get the bullets out of your head all by yourself :D

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2013/10/25, 10:59:03 »
@DeepDayze: There are quite some options: trust, faith, knowledge and very big balls. So we really don't recommend the daily use of aptitude in any sid based distribution :twisted:
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/10/25, 14:39:22 »
Quote from: "buddlflink"

I downloaded the package from debian.org and installed it via dpkg, since aptitude was broken at this moment.

I don't get it. What does "apt-get install libept1.4.12/testing" has to do with aptitude (broken or not).
I wonder whether you deliberately purged apt when you installed aptitude?
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/10/25, 15:13:34 »
aptitude is a front-end to apt

apt was originally designed as a front-end for dpkg to work with debian's .deb packages, but it has since been modified to also work with  RPM's  via apt-rpm

apt has been ported to Mac OS X for some of its own package management tasks,apt is also available in OpenSolaris.

DeepDayze, a good place to start would be
/etc/apt/apt.conf ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/10/25, 15:18:58 »

I don't get it. What does "apt-get install libept1.4.12/testing" has to do with aptitude (broken or not).

Because libept is a high level library for managing debian package's.

I don't get it. What does "apt-get install libept1.4.12/testing" has to do with aptitude

answer is easy

aptitude is nothing more than a frontend to apt.

Offline agaida

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/10/25, 15:46:20 »
fixed packages should be in unstable now. Ähh - btw - if one was bitten by this bug, its highly recommend to use apt-get for the upgrade ... :D
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/10/25, 16:09:47 »
Quote from: "piper"

Because libept is a high level library for managing debian package's.

I don't get it. What does "apt-get install libept1.4.12/testing" has to do with aptitude

answer is easy

aptitude is nothing more than a frontend to apt.

Still i don't get it: Do you try to tell us that apt-get won't work if aptitude is broken? Which I doubt.

apt has neither a dependency to aptitude nor to  libept1.4.12, so what you tell us makes no sense at all.

I don't want to insist to much, but as using apt properly is needed to administer your system you should really try to understand what's working and what not. Or prove me wrong.

Offline agaida

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/10/25, 16:31:36 »
Keep cool/ruhig bleiben.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727565

and yes, aptitude depends on libept, apt not.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2013/10/25, 16:36:41 »
I am completly cool ( I am sowhat of cool ;-) ), I only wonder whether he really runs a system **without** **apt**.
Because that would be the only way his answers make sense.

EDIT:
That's now only for educating me:

He didn't try to do what I suggested to do by replacing the "apt-get" part with "aptitude" but while doing exactly what I suggested he got an error message something like "libept couldn't be installed due to broken packages" and then *forced* it via dpgk (because in this case it wouldn't install without the *-force* option either).

Is this my missunderstanding?

Ironwalker

« Reply #14 on: 2013/10/25, 19:22:40 »
@piper, I should have re-worded my post to say I like aptitude better, not that apt-get is better.
You have been around long enough here and dslr for me to know you are smart enough to see that the different options in aptitude are self explanitory.
Things I notice are the posts of folks using aptitude complaining about removal of unused pakages and other things that can easily be stopped via the options in aptitude.

For me, I like that you can use the ncurses (terminal menu) interface to prepare complex package operations like partial upgrade, remove one package, freeze another one, upgrade this one, that you can then execute in a single operation.
The apt-cache and regular apt-get commands can be used in aptitude as it is a front-end to apt-get.
Conflict resolution is a good thing if taken with a grain of salt. It can be handy to get an idea what is holding things up, breaking something or what have you where with apt-get, you are on your own to figure these out.....better for a newb imo.
Aptitude remembers which packages were explicitly requested and which were only installed due to dependencies.

One might want to know why an automatically installed package is present on the system. To get this information from the command-line, you can use aptitude why package (apt-get has no similar feature):
$ aptitude why python-debian
i aptitude Recommends apt-xapian-index
i A apt-xapian-index Depends python-debian (>= 0.1.15)
(from debian handbook)

I remember aptitude not reading apt/preferences (a bug that may be fixed now) and being able to read apt/pinning.
I know apt-get does these as well.

Also, myself, I use aptitude commands via terminal instead of curses version.
I also like the aptitude search funtion showing pakages as being installed or not or broken where apt-cache search doesn't.
Just a preference for me is all.