Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZNK7t....  (Read 6445 times)

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
[solved] aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZNK7t....
« Reply #15 on: 2013/10/26, 01:20:47 »
micha7: auf deutsch - weil ich das so auf englisch eh nur wieder missverständlich hinbekommen würde - wahrscheinlich ja. Der funktionierende und korrekte Weg wäre das von Dir vorgeschlagene apt-get install libept$foo/testing gewesen. Nutzt man dafür aptitude install libept$foo/testing, dann geht es in die Hose (da aptitude karpott im Sinne von karpott) :)

Low-Level mit dpkg -i --force-all libept*.deb geht natürlich auch - aber das geht schon wieder in die Richtung "Dinge, die man nicht vorsätzlich tun sollte", wenn es einen sauberen Weg gibt. Noch schrecklicher wäre nur noch das Triplet download/extract/copy des Pakets gewesen ...

(nein, ich bin kein Horrorbuchautor)
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #16 on: 2013/10/26, 11:27:54 »
ok, you understand the situation as I do. So my question wasn't out of whatever. But as the person concerned doesn't respond the thing is closed. Still I wonder if he had purged apt, because of how he installed libept*.

I really would like to know how you say in english:
"von hinten durch die brust ins auge"
(literally: from behind through the chest into the eye)
;-)
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #17 on: 2013/10/26, 13:57:36 »
@Ironwalker

Sorry if I took a jab at the people who *know* what their doing with aptitude.(you are one of them ;) ) I do use it in a stable debian environment, but, this being a support forum and sid and a lot of folks being both new to siduction and/or  sid, aptitude is not the way to go to get started and can be an experience that will leave a bad taste in a new sid users mouth.

I just don't recommend aptitude in sid in general, but, it is your computers people run with it :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Ironwalker

« Reply #18 on: 2013/10/26, 15:55:19 »
Libept 1.0.12 was uploaded yesterday. I didn't look at changelog because the first fix 1.0.11 worked fine.

@piper,
I didn't think you were jabbing at me. ;)

@michaa7,
Are you guys talking/asking me or @buddlflink?

@Deepdayz,
 I probably should start an aptitude thread just to get the misinformed, informed, but, like you and others said, apt-get is preferred....even though the manual in english does mention aptitude as a choice.

The Reasons NOT to use anything else but apt-get or aptitude for a dist-upgrade

So I am afraid posting a new thread somewhere mentioning the use of aptitude will confuse those who do not like to read the manual to begin with...and there are quite a few of them as I see the previous forum posts. ;)

One thing though, a great up to date manual for aptitude is here,
http://aptitude.alioth.debian.org/doc/en/
I do like the new....(new for me) why and why not options in aptitude which apt-get does not have.
Again aptitude is a front end for apt-get
It does need apt installed to use.
apt-cache search, aptitude search and wajig use xapian for search so for someone to say one is better or faster is silly.
apt-cache finds way more stuff with apt-cache search foo than aptitude search foo because it searches for foo in title and in description as well as part of a bigger word. Aptitude just looks for a pakage named foo.....unless you do aptitude search ~dfoo. than its the same as apt-cache search in results.
~d must be used before the search term with no space. There are other regular expressions(think thats what its called) as well. Read the manual.

Ok maybe I should make a thread in experimental forums on aptitude but google search will do better or the manual I linked to above.

Thanks guys, keep up the great work....this thread is closed! :D

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2013/10/26, 16:30:32 »
Quote from: "Ironwalker"
@michaa7,
Are you guys talking/asking me or @buddlflink?

I missed the fact it was *not* you but buddlflink who "downloaded the package from debian.org and installed it via dpkg, since aptitude was broken at this moment". Sorry for the confusion it created.

Again aptitude is a front end for apt-get
It does need apt installed to use....

[nitpicking by michaa7]
aptitude is not a frontend to apt/apt-get, but it uses the same library "libapt-pkg4.12" apt is relying on. It therefore does not depend on apt to be installed. libapt-pkg4.12 has to be installed.
That's why I asked all my stupid questions which I now have learned do not concern you but buddlflink. thanks for clarifying this.
[/nitpicking]

Thanks guys, keep up the great work....this thread is closed! :D

Now for me too.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Ironwalker

« Reply #20 on: 2013/10/26, 16:38:14 »
Ahhh, ok i read thast part wrong on aptitude manual. Thought it said front end for apt...thank you and I am not confused anymore. :)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: [solved] aptitude: undefined symbol: _ZNK7t....
« Reply #21 on: 2013/10/27, 15:08:04 »
Both apt-get and aptitude are front-ends for dpkg

debian.org (DebianPackageManagement)  (last edited 2013-04-14 21:17:54 by Lasall)

lists aptitude as both a Full-Screen Frontend and a Command-line Frontend

Under the new "The Debian Administrator's Handbook" (http://debian-handbook.info/) which can by looked at by pdf/browser or apt-get install debian-handbook
which was written by two debian developers — Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas

Under chapter 6.4. Frontends: aptitude, synaptic

APT is a C++ program whose code mainly resides in the libapt-pkg shared library. Using a shared library facilitates the creation of user interfaces (front-ends), since the code contained in the library can easily be reused. Historically, apt-get was only designed as a test front-end for libapt-pkg but its success tends to obscure this fact.

Under your link (manual for aptitude)

"aptitude provides such an interface by building on the apt package management"

key word is "building on the apt"

"apt is a common base on which to build these programs: in addition to aptitude, programs such as synaptic and apt-watch make use of apt."

" When working with a package manager based on apt, such as aptitude, you will typically perform three basic tasks: you will update the list of packages that are available by downloading new lists from the Debian servers, you will select which packages should be installed, upgraded, or removed, and finally, you will commit your selections by actually performing the installations, removals, etc."

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals

Chapter 8

It is important to understand that the higher level package management tools such as aptitude or dselect rely on apt which, itself, relies on dpkg to manage the packages in the system.

All the available tools rely on the lower level tools to properly work and are presented here in decreasing complexity level.

aptitude is a package manager for Debian GNU/Linux systems that provides a frontend to the apt package management infrastructure

Everything I have searched and every documentation I have read says that aptitude is indeed nothing more than a frontend to apt which is a frontend to dpkg

also wikipedia aptitude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptitude_%28software%29

First sentence

aptitude is a front-end to the Advanced Packaging Tool (APT).
« Last Edit: 2013/10/27, 15:41:28 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck