Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Is this a German distro????  (Read 21614 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] Is this a German distro????
« Reply #30 on: 2012/01/06, 18:59:00 »
The best way to handle this is to react to actual needs and demand, after wwe switched to a new home.

greetz
devil

Offline michaa7

• User
Is this a German distro????
« Reply #31 on: 2012/01/06, 19:38:17 »
you put it in a nutshell
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

catalinsb

« Reply #32 on: 2012/01/07, 01:14:54 »
Hello! I haven't followed all the discussion here, and I must confess from the very beginning that nor English neither German (from which I hardly understand a few minimal sentences) are my native languages. First time I heard about siduction on distrowatch and I entered this forum, I haven't seen the English part of the forum (maybe because I was so excited?), but I had no feeling about this. I thought well, this distro is going to be awesome, no problem if it still hasn't an English forum. I remember I was going forth an back from the news part of the site to the blog page to read the release notes. Only a few days later I discovered the English forum... I believe the actual formula of the forum responds to all the needs. Anyway, English is kind of default language if it is about computers, just think about terminal commands and so on. Maybe you should make more visible the fact that the forum has indeed an English section?

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #33 on: 2012/01/07, 02:37:19 »
Quote from: "catalinsb"
...Maybe you should make more visible the fact that the forum has indeed an English section?

the change to a new forum with new software is expected to happen within this month, maybe soon or some days later. Until then nothing will happen to the setup of the forum.

Sometimes it's worth to read the whole thread as this info was given there several times.

And although I haven't seen it yet, I'm pretty sure, with the new software, the english part will be easy to find ...
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

nadir

« Reply #34 on: 2012/03/27, 18:56:33 »
It seems no one gets hindered to post in English, so it's up to the users (which is a good thing, imho).
That said:
I for one would appreciate more posts in English. If i do computing, i do it in English (mainly to learn English, btw). I only check the English forum, and it rather seems silent.
It also seems to make sense: the de facto standard to communicate international is English. While there are lots of Germans and a lot of people in Europe who speak German, a lot do not. English, otoh, is spoken by most people, it seems (at least the younger generations).

I am not really an active member of the sidux/aptosid/siduction community, so the above is just a side note (let's say from a stranger).  One of the reasons might be the amount of German communication (the other one being the strict moderation in the past, at the sidux forum).

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #35 on: 2012/03/27, 23:37:24 »
I use chromium-browser and I check the siduction forum every day.  For the German posts (I don't read or speak much German) I simply use the translator.  You can look at the subject only and see if you need to go further -- no need to read all about ath9k driver issues if you don't have an atheros chip.  :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #36 on: 2012/03/28, 01:26:56 »
I feel ashamed of my bad english and therefore prefer to write in german language. Also it costs me more time in english, because I am unsure and constantly change sentences ...

But I like to use IT specific terms in english. If you ask in a german thread in english I promise to answer back in english. Feel free to do!
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #37 on: 2012/03/28, 12:54:15 »
I think siduction is, at the moment, suffering the same failing as sidux did. Sidux had the German section at the bottom of the forum page and therefore most people didn't know the German section existed. It's a fair bet that the same thing is happening with siduction only in reversee.

Wikipaedia suggests there are 1800m English speaking and 200m German speaking people in the world therefore most of the people attrascted to siduction will be able to understand English. And it's a fact that if you want your shop to be a success you don't put the products people want at in the back of the shop.

Hopefully the new site will solve this problem. Perhaps using Aptosid's two site approach or having English as the default language and with an easy method of switching to German.

dibi: From your posts in the German section of the forum it seems to me that you do very well at making your self understood in German. I congratulate you. I always look at the German posts but I struggle to make sense of them and I find the translation tools inadequate.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #38 on: 2012/03/28, 13:00:38 »

Hopefully the new site will solve this problem.

It will. We are taking in account the multilang problems. Please understand that the siduction community in the beginning was almost 100% german.

...and I find the translation tools inadequate.

The better the written german, the better the translation. But that is a theory, I do not expect that everyone writes perfect german.

greetz
devil

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #39 on: 2012/03/28, 14:55:32 »
I have a feeling that even with a new site the "community based os" siduction will be a German community with a English forum appendix used for some support and help. That will work for me as a user as long as I get the support and help I need, and I don't doubt that, but the fun with a forum/community where a lot happens and which is something to come and look on every day to see whats new and whats going on will not be very much of if you are not German speaking/reading i think. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #40 on: 2012/03/28, 16:02:32 »
@vilde , you nearly convinced me to write some more english here ...

Another aspect:
Having had the very bad sidux forum experience I was the one arguing to divide english and german to the most possible extent. This was when hatred debate was on and then mixing languages :(

Due to the very peaceful and friendly nature of our forum I would prefer some more mixed language siduction forums!
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #41 on: 2012/03/28, 17:19:55 »
Quote from: "ralul"
I feel ashamed of my bad english and therefore prefer to write in german language. Also it costs me more time in english, because I am unsure and constantly change sentences ....
@ralul, You are not worse in English than I and a lot of others are, I understand you and that’s good enough 8)

Offline Geier0815

• User
« Reply #42 on: 2012/03/28, 17:37:31 »
Can one of you explain me the problem? This is a forum, so it is what you, yes you!, made of it. The most forums about debian, sid especially, are in english where the "only german-speaking" users are out. Here it is twisted. Did you ever try to post a question in german, france, (whatever language) in a english-speaking forum? You will be flamed! And what's about the english posts here? Everyone who is able to write a little bit in english try to help you.So as I am.
Agaida and devil post it more than ones: With the new forum-software it will be easier to differ between the english and the german forum, so please stay tuned.
Please, sorry for my lousy english!
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

nadir

« Reply #43 on: 2012/03/28, 18:11:57 »
Quote from: "Geier0815"
Can one of you explain me the problem? This is a forum, so it is what you, yes you!, made of it. .

For me: not a problem at all. Only something i realized and mentioned.

Please, sorry for my lousy english!

I read this several times in this thread, and would not have realized that it is not an English speaker at all (not that my English would be good enough to be able to tell).

Not sure if there are really too few German forums (ubuntu and debian got one), but it wouldn't help. If one uses a distro (siduction in this case) one will want a forum for that distro (i guess, that is how it is for me).

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #44 on: 2012/03/28, 21:21:34 »
Quote from: "clubex"

dibi: From your posts in the German section of the forum it seems to me that you do very well at making your self understood in German.

I'm sure the native German speakers get a chuckle from my crude attempts, but thank you!   :)

Seriously, I've been running siduction on 3 very different hardware platforms since January, and even though I'm no guru, I'm glad to provide whatever help I can.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO