Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  SDDM  (Read 1903 times)

Offline titan

• User
SDDM
« on: 2020/11/10, 12:15:03 »
After a recent upgrade my PC booted into i3 not Plasma, I thought it was to do with the Plasma update but eventually discovered it was SDDM. Because of the background I could not see the  option to select desktop to boot. So now I am running SDDM Breeze theme and want to remove  Patience but it wants to remove console-common and install desktop-base and lightDM with lightDM Patience theme. Any idea why and how to remove the Patience SDDM theme.
Code: [Select]
apt  remove sddm-theme-patience
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  desktop-base fonts-quicksand libayatana-ido3-0.4-0 libayatana-indicator3-7 liblightdm-gobject-1-0 libplymouth4 libxklavier16 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter
  patience-lightdm-gtk-settings plymouth plymouth-label
Suggested packages:
  gnome | kde-standard | xfce4 | wmaker xserver-xephyr plymouth-themes
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  console-common patience-sddm-settings sddm-theme-patience
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  desktop-base fonts-quicksand libayatana-ido3-0.4-0 libayatana-indicator3-7 liblightdm-gobject-1-0 libplymouth4 libxklavier16 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter
  patience-lightdm-gtk-settings plymouth plymouth-label
0 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,084 kB of archives.[code][/color][/font][font=monospace][/font][font=monospace][/font]

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
Re: SDDM
« Reply #1 on: 2020/11/10, 17:27:15 »
Quote from: titan
booted into i3 not Plasma

"/etc/sddm.conf" is the configuration file. You could change the DE in the following line:

Session=plasma.desktop
sddm-theme-patience will probably be the only installed theme. You will have to install another one first.

https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/sddm/sddm.conf.5.en.html
« Last Edit: 2020/11/10, 17:30:33 by axt »

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2020/11/10, 18:45:31 »
Axt thanks ,I know how to configure SDDM my original problem was that SDDM had been upgraded and when rebooted loaded i3 not Plasma. I couldn't see the select desktop option ( bottom left on screen) at SDDM login because the text was unreadable with the black and white photo I had set as wallpaper. That has all been resolved.
The problem now is it doesn't look to be possible to remove the Patience theme without  all the changes I mentioned in my original post.
Ian

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
« Reply #3 on: 2020/11/10, 21:13:35 »
I already understood you in the start posting.

You can't uninstall the sole installed SDDM theme w/o uninstalling SDDM altogether.

apt install sddm-theme-breeze # for example
apt purge sddm-theme-patience

You can't just click, but you can edit the configuration file as described and linked (!).

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #4 on: 2020/11/10, 22:24:53 »
apt  remove sddm-theme-patience fonts-quicksand- libayatana-ido3-0.4-0- libayatana-indicator3-7- liblightdm-gobject-1-0- libplymouth4- libxklavier16- lightdm- lightdm-gtk-greeter- patience-lightdm-gtk-settings- plymouth- plymouth-label-
Maybe this works.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2020/11/10, 22:41:36 »
atx said

"I already understood you in the start posting.
You can't uninstall the sole installed SDDM theme w/o uninstalling SDDM altogether".

I have breeze installed it is my normal sddm theme I said that in my first post  :(

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2020/11/10, 22:44:38 »
hendrikLyes ,I have considered that but there is also desktop-base to remove and console-common to reinstall

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #7 on: 2020/11/10, 23:00:41 »
apt remove sddm-theme-patience fonts-quicksand+ libayatana-ido3-0.4-0- libayatana-indicator3-7- liblightdm-gobject-1-0- libplymouth4- libxklavier16- lightdm- lightdm-gtk-greeter- patience-lightdm-gtk-settings- plymouth- plymouth-label- console-common+ desktop-base+
Wired, do not understand why lightdm should be installed, no need for it.
some strange dependences, have to look for it

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #8 on: 2020/11/11, 08:25:30 »
For @ll which are noticed after update to sddm 0.19.0-1/-2 and done/do a new login and faced another desktop-session than the preferred one or a black screen (maybe the  plasma-wayland session). Please log out, choose in the dropdown menu the right session and log in again, after a reboot all should be fine again.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=973907#20

Offline titan

• User
Re: SDDM solved
« Reply #9 on: 2020/11/11, 15:27:07 »
I removed sddm-theme-patience and it duly removed everything as the first post, I then reinstalled console-common and removed desktop-sessions but if I tried to remove anything else it wanted to reinstall sddm-theme-patience,so I just reinstated as it was before.

However I eventually found the dependence was patience-wallpaper and removing that also removed sddm-theme-patience and patience-sddm-settings, eventually got there.  :D