Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Does anyone know a program that automatically saves scans?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Lanzi

• User
I have to scan about 40 pages and I remember that we had in KDE 3.5 a program (maybe Kscan) that scanned the pic and saved the file imedeatly afterwards with a ongoing number.
Is there still such a solution possible (without naming an lots of clicking)?Thanks

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Does anyone know a program that automatically saves scans?
« Reply #1 on: 2019/11/23, 22:34:12 »
I have noticed skanlite tries to automatically name each file after you feed it the name of the first scan.  I suppose you could name your first scan "0001.png" and maybe skanlite will automatically number the rest of them.  (I haven't tried this myself .....).
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2019/11/23, 23:51:33 »
I read about it before, but it seems it doesn't do this. But I will test it.
Xsane also has the option to renumber, but it does not work (at least it seams so).
Thanks again for your quick answer!

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2019/11/24, 13:04:39 »
xsane numbers names automatically here when Names are not changed.
regards
Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2019/11/24, 13:11:39 »
OK, I did the experiment.  Using skanlite, I scanned the document, when it was finished I clicked "save", and I named it "20191124-0001" and saved it.  Then I clicked "preview" and it prepared to scan again, and I clicked "scan" and when it was finished I clicked "save", and it offered to save the scan with the filename "20191124-0002".  So, there you go.  Not exactly automated scanning, but it will number the files sequentially.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2019/11/24, 14:42:24 »
Thanks a lot Dibl!
Probaly the best solution we have now.The old KDE 3,5 program saved without any clicking at all, that was very comfortable for scanning older photos and documents. I do not remember how it was called. Maybe I should look for and old iso  ;D
@Reiner:hmmm, not here... When I try to scan the second document, i need to click to overwrite, what I do not want.

So far the easiest solution is to rename the file "out.png" directly after the scan in the homefolder and then scan the next one...

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2019/11/24, 16:42:43 »
@Lanzi: Here an example when I start.
On the first image the "1" is changed to "0001" after scanstart.

On the second image after sucessfull scan the "0001" is automaticly changes to "0002".

regards
Reiner

slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2019/11/24, 18:11:40 »
According to german Ubuntu wiki (the articles there are often worth reading), there should be a setting in xsane configuration for that (Überschreibwarnung an/aus, Existierende Dateinamen überspringen ein/aus, Dateinamenzähler Länge) :  https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/XSane/#Konfiguration
Perhaps you have an additional look at the overview article about different scannong software for some more ideas  https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Scanner/Software/
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline oduffo

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2019/11/25, 00:08:39 »
For me xsane works exactly as ReinerS described it and has all the settings in preferences/configuration that der_bud mentioned.
I do a lot of scans per day (one- and more-pagers) and xsane never let me down. Current version I use is 0.999-7.

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2019/12/15, 19:23:40 »
I dn't know If I was blind or stupid, but today it works as described :)
I checked all the settings with the help of the mentioned ubuntupage. Then it worked.
So, the problem was probably in front of the screen ;-)
Thanks to all who helped!

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2020/02/09, 09:16:39 »
Late to the party on this thread, but I learned about simple-scan (available in the Debian repos) a few months ago and now use that for my scanning needs, although there isn't an option to automatically save scans using a certain file name.
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.