Siduction Forum > Upgrade Warnings

Is "no longer required" always reliable?

(1/3) > >>

cas:
Hello,
below my current 'apt dist-upgrade -s'

The packages, that apt says are to be removed, are probably so, because of some transition.
apt also says, that many packages are superfluous now, so I can remove them myself.

My question is:
Can I generally depend on the latter statement? Or can it happen, that after some finished transition, some of the mentioned packages are not superfluous any more?

Thanks for your answer.
C

--- Code: ---$LANG=C apt dist-upgrade -s

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libdns169 libfabric1 libgnome-desktop-3-12 libgweather-3-6 libhdf5-openmpi-100 libhwloc-plugins libhwloc5 libisc166 libjs-backbone libjs-bootstrap-tour libjs-codemirror
  libjs-es6-promise libjs-jed libjs-jquery-typeahead libjs-jquery-ui libjs-marked libjs-moment libjs-requirejs libjs-requirejs-text libjs-text-encoding libjs-xterm liblept5
  libnetcdf-c++4 libopencv-calib3d3.2 libopencv-contrib3.2 libopencv-features2d3.2 libopencv-flann3.2 libopencv-photo3.2 libopencv-shape3.2 libopencv-stitching3.2 libopencv-superres3.2
  libopencv-video3.2 libopencv-videostab3.2 libopencv-viz3.2 libopenmpi2 libpsm-infinipath1 libtesseract4 libvtk6.3 linux-headers-4.13.10-towo.2-siduction-amd64
  linux-headers-4.14.15-towo.1-siduction-amd64 linux-image-4.13.10-towo.2-siduction-amd64 linux-image-4.14.15-towo.1-siduction-amd64 python3-bleach python3-dateutil python3-entrypoints
  python3-html5lib python3-ipython python3-jinja2 python3-jsonschema python3-markupsafe python3-mistune python3-nbformat python3-pandocfilters python3-pickleshare python3-pyqt5
  python3-pyqt5.qtsvg python3-send2trash python3-simplegeneric python3-sip python3-terminado python3-testpath python3-tornado python3-webencodings
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  jupyter-notebook jupyter-qtconsole python3-ipykernel python3-jupyter-client python3-nbconvert python3-notebook python3-qtconsole python3-zmq
--- End code ---

devil:
I personallly never trusted autoremove nor will I ever. It is a good idea to go over the list and see if it makes sense. Other people just trust it and hit ENTER.

unklarer:
Of course, I'll go over the list and see if that's plausible.
Then I trust apt and have never been disappointed.   ;D

But everyone has to decide for himself.

piper:
I agree with devil :), I don't trust auto remove

Their are ways around this ;)
You can make a apt.conf file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/,  and add

--- Code: ---APT::Get::AutomaticRemove "0";
APT::Get::HideAutoRemove "1";
--- End code ---

or

--- Code: ---apt-mark manual <package-name>
--- End code ---

Now auto remove won't remove it.

To undo this move

--- Code: ---apt-mark auto <package-name>
--- End code ---

auto remove *should remove the package if it is not a dependency of any other package.

vayu:
I've had autoremove break programs for me.  You're especially vulnerable if you've compiled things for yourself and installed dependencies for that. Same if you've downloaded programs or installed anything not in the repos you are currently using.  When autoremove suggests removing packages I usually spend a lot of time researching why it thinks that. In addition to apt-cache policy, apt-cache show and apt-cache rdepends I use a program apt-rdepends (with -r).  If I can't find a clear reason to remove it then I leave it. It's a balance, I don't want old stuff laying around but I don't want to break anything I may not realize until later and find it mysteriously doesn't work anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version