Siduction Forum > Upgrade Warnings

Is "no longer required" always reliable?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bluelupo:
I have to ask a fundamental question. Is there any situation where a Autoremove is needed? In my estimation, the command is pretty useless.

devil:
Not really useless. It's supposed to offer libs for deletion that are not in use by any installed application anymore. Like vayu wrote, this is not always easy to determine.

dibl:
I have been using it since @melmarker wrote that it seems to be working correctly these days.  I have had no cause for regrets. 3 KDE systems, 2 LXQt.

sunrat:
In the OP example it wants to remove all old kernels. I would always want to keep at least one prior to the current one.
I prefer caution so would never actually run it but use the list of suggestions to investigate each package and remove it manually.

cas:

--- Quote from: devil on 2018/03/24, 07:15:44 ---I personallly never trusted autoremove nor will I ever.
--- End quote ---
OK, autoremove is never reliable  ;)
also thanks for the other answers.

But the intention of my question was slightly different.

DU (still) wants to remove mainly python3 stuff.
I assume, that "autoremove" concludes, that when this python3 stuff isn't available any more, other python packages aren't necessary either.

I hope, DU will soon leave those python3/jupyter-packages alone again.
If that happens, some packages might vanish from the "no longer required"-list, that are now seen superfluous by "autoremove"?

Besides fundamental interest in this question,  it would be quite some work investigating all that packages, that might even be useless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version