Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Indicator does not display in Status Tray  (Read 2263 times)

Offline kbtidwell

[EN] Indicator does not display in Status Tray
« on: 2023/01/15, 15:06:30 »
Hello,
I am new to Siduction but have used many Deb-based distros. I have used Variety wallpaper changer in all of them with no problems. However, with this installation Variety works correctly but its icon does not display in the Status Tray. I have never experienced this before. Where should I start examining things?

Good day,
K B Tidwell

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: Indicator does not display in Status Tray
« Reply #1 on: 2023/01/15, 19:24:54 »
Code: [Select]
apt show variety
Package: variety
Version: 0.8.9-1
Priority: optional
Section: graphics
Maintainer: James Lu <james@overdrivenetworks.com>
Installed-Size: 1.916 kB
Depends: gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10, gir1.2-glib-2.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, gir1.2-notify-0.7, gir1.2-pango-1.0, imagemagick, python3-bs4, python3-lxml, python3-cairo, python3-configobj, python3-dbus, python3-gi, python3-gi-cairo, python3-pil, python3-pkg-resources, python3-requests, python3:any
Recommends: gir1.2-ayatanaappindicator3-0.1 | gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1, python3-httplib2, fortune-mod
Suggests: feh | nitrogen, gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
Homepage: http://peterlevi.com/variety/
Download-Size: 499 kB
APT-Sources: http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
Description: Wallpaper changer, downloader and manager
 Variety is a wallpaper manager for Linux systems. It supports numerous
 desktops and wallpaper sources, including local files and online
 services: Flickr, Wallhaven, Unsplash, and more.
 Where supported, Variety sits as a tray icon to allow easy pausing and
 resuming. Otherwise, its desktop entry menu provides a similar set of
 options.
 You can also install the following (suggested) packages to enhance Variety's
 functionality on certain desktop setups:
  * feh | nitrogen: used for wallpaper changing on i3, openbox, and dwm
  * gnome-shell-extension-appindicator | gnome-shell-extension-top-icons-plus:
    adds tray icon / indicator support to GNOME Shell, so that Variety's tray
    icon can be displayed

it's your turn with your 'desktop'   ;)

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/01/15, 19:49:13 »
I recently did a fresh install and for the first time chose LXQT. For some reason it did not have a system tray by default. I activated the plugin and presto. It would help if we knew what desktop you chose?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2023/01/15, 21:42:10 »
...  for the first time chose LXQT. For some reason it did not have a system tray by default....
Back in the day (2017) the siduction/LXQt desktop release came with the plank dock. I still have it set up that way -- works good. I later added the plugin.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/01/15, 22:19:46 »
...  for the first time chose LXQT. For some reason it did not have a system tray by default....
Back in the day (2017) the siduction/LXQt desktop release came with the plank dock. I still have it set up that way -- works good. I later added the plugin.
Plank is there but not active by default. I used it or some time with Xfce4. It's a great dock.

Offline kbtidwell

« Reply #5 on: 2023/01/17, 02:30:13 »
I thank everyone for their responses so far, but unfortunately not long after my original post, my laptop was destroyed by a falling bookshelf. I was able to salvage the SSD and some other components, but the motherboard is history. I'll get another unit in a a few days, and we'll hope that Variety acts right this time. If not, I know where to report back to.

Thanks again! K B Tidwell

Offline kbtidwell

« Reply #6 on: 2023/01/17, 02:34:59 »
BTW, you asked: I used XFCE.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2023/01/17, 19:54:46 »
I thank everyone for their responses so far, but unfortunately not long after my original post, my laptop was destroyed by a falling bookshelf. I was able to salvage the SSD and some other components, but the motherboard is history. I'll get another unit in a a few days, and we'll hope that Variety acts right this time. If not, I know where to report back to.

Thanks again! K B Tidwell
Sorry to hear of the loss of your laptop and hopefully you'll find an identical one as a replacement and then just drop in the SSD and RAM then you'd be back up and running.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: 2023/01/17, 20:40:02 »
.... my laptop was destroyed by a falling bookshelf.....
Very sorry to hear of that little disaster. Hopefully we'll see you back soon with another siduction system.  :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline kbtidwell

« Reply #9 on: 2023/01/17, 23:57:56 »
Sorry to hear of the loss of your laptop and hopefully you'll find an identical one as a replacement and then just drop in the SSD and RAM then you'd be back up and running.
Very sorry to hear of that little disaster. Hopefully we'll see you back soon with another siduction system.  :)
Thanks, guys.😊