Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Next release plans  (Read 5612 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User

Offline vilde

• User
Re: Next release plans
« Reply #1 on: 2017/02/04, 22:57:42 »
Thank you for the news, I will try the new installer when it will be available.

For the record I still have two 32 bit machines used daily or near daily, two old Thinkpads that runs very well on siduction.  One is in my garage and used as a music player and for Internet access when I'm there, the other one is used for daily Internet use by a friend who can not afford a newer computer.  It's a little pity to loose support for this two machines but I understand that sooner or later they will be outdated.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2017/02/04, 23:10:41 »
one does not loose support - aka the machine will not refuse to work apruptly - there are some possible minimal invasive solutions

1. Kernel - use the debian one - it should be no problem to install and switch too
2. the very most of our packages come from debian directly
3. most of our packages are for the setup process, related to the live isos - so an installed system don't have them
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/02/05, 00:27:10 »
For 32 bit why not just offer a bare bones No-X image? That would be enough to get a 32 bit install going on an older computer and then have a script to get X and a desktop manager setup as well as some minimal set of apps.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/02/05, 00:59:20 »
Then we would have to keep building 32-bit kernels, which is quite cumbersome at the moment.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/02/05, 01:02:23 »
@Devil...ahh that's right. Other than that I do agree it is time to retire 32 bit.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2017/02/05, 01:08:19 »
nox and xorg would be no problem with a plain debian kernel  - as i wrote before, changing the kernels should be not that big problem. a basic nox or xorg image should be doable, even lxde or lxqt or somewhat else.

The real problem is that we cant test such things on real iron, only virtual - not the best thing for bugfree releases.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2017/02/05, 10:49:19 »
Thank you melmarker for your advicecs. I will probably get those two 32 bit machines usable anyway and I'm in no way asking you to keep on the 32 bit releases.

You do a lot of work for us and I'm very glad as long you keep suduction running. It's still the fast, secure, easy to install and minimal so I can choose what applications I want on my computers.

tmhind2

« Reply #8 on: 2017/02/05, 10:52:09 »
@melmarker, thanks for your clear input at least I now have a better understanding of the issue!  ;)

tom

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2017/02/06, 14:30:29 »
Wow, thats a lot of work for you guys.Thanks to everybody for your neverending dedication to siduction!

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2017/02/06, 15:22:57 »
Thanks for your continuing work, I am intending to build a new PC soon and this should make a clean install much easier.

Offline bevo

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2017/02/06, 17:38:31 »
That's good news, thanks  :)

bevo