Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Snaps with siduction  (Read 5780 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User

Offline vilde

• User
Re: Snaps with siduction
« Reply #1 on: 2017/02/02, 17:55:37 »
 Snaps  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

This is snaps   8)

detipco

« Reply #2 on: 2017/02/02, 18:34:22 »
Yepp, you are right. 8)
Snap Apps are called in Germany :o shortly snaps and a cell phone is called handy ;D
German people are very strange. :D

cheers

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/02/02, 19:26:51 »
It makes things easier: you can pull your gun and say: Handy me all your money, implying to hand over smartphone and cash ;)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/02/02, 21:12:11 »
From Wikipedia:
Schnapps (/ʃnɑːps/ or /ʃnæps/) is a term for a family of alcoholic beverages that may take several forms, including distilled fruit brandies, [1] herbal liqueurs, infusions, and "flavored liqueurs" made by adding fruit syrups, spices, or artificial flavorings to neutral grain spirits. The English word "schnapps" is derived from the German Schnaps [ʃnaps] ( listen) (plural: Schnäpse),[2][3] a Low German noun meaning "drink" documented in High German meaning[which?] since before the 18th century.[4]
Probably also the Swedish word snaps (like a lot of others) is taken from the German word and it's almost the same meaning of the word even if the drinking tradition is a little different.
End of OT from me.

@ devil, without having investigated further both snaps and flatpack looks for me similar to android apps, is that correct?
If it is so, then all years of telling us users NOT to install anything from outside the debian/kanotox/sidux/aptosid/siducion repos "If not then we will not support you!!!!!!!" seams to be a little old fashion now or?
For me it has been the safety of having a supported and reliable application stock to use and install applications from, and that's why I have been longing to get a real linux telephone, that I will probably not get. I really hate all  android apps who demand a ridiculous amount of rights to everything on my phone, feels wide open and un secure.

But now , shall  it be an app-lookalike way of installing things?  How shall I know if it will brick my system or not, that feels not very secure.   

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/02/02, 22:06:05 »
Like I mentioned in the other thread about Flatpak, security is the most important issue here.  We have always said not to install things from untrusted sources and around the back of the package manager. That mantra still stands.

Here is what Snap/Flatpak are: They are containers that include a lot of the dependencies that a software needs (other than basic runtimes or framweorks, that come in containers of their own). These containers are sandboxed, so they are separated from other containers and from the underlying system. There are ways for these containers to communicate with parts of the system and with each other, which they have to do to be functional. But that communication is limited and controlled. So in principle, this method is safe.

These new package forms make sense if you need to install stuff not available for your distro or not in the right version. These containers do not interfer with the package management and are updated within the container itself. So from that point it is also safe. I will write an article on the safety of the sandboxing model and the methods involved and will put relevant passages of that into our blog and/or wiki.

Canonical will go all in and release a version of Ubuntu made with snaps and snaps only. They need to go in that direction to push their agenda with the IoT and with Ubuntu Phone. But that is a different use case than what I wrote about on the blog.

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2017/02/02, 23:31:38 »
So, I am curious to see what comes along the way. Not sure, if I will ever need it.

But, If I understand right, we could use "ubuntu"-snaps, yes?
There could be some progess, because it would make cross "linux"-plattform-apps possible.

but until today, I didn't miss anything in sid... maybe gimp 2.9.4 ;-)

Offline cas

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2017/02/02, 23:58:24 »
Like I mentioned in the other thread about Flatpak, security is the most important issue here.  We have always said not to install things from untrusted sources and around the back of the package manager. That mantra still stands.

Is this really the case?
I vaguely remember, there were other recommendations in some places (probably from melmarker), regarding mozilla programs, latex, web stuff. 

Although I would prefer everything from debian repos,  I'd love to here from you where flats/snaps would actually make sense.

Greetings, C

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2017/02/03, 00:27:28 »
I could see a usage in something like the program calibre (the epub library and epub swiss-army knife).  I was taking the developer Kovid Goyal's binary blobs beause his QT was too recent for stable.   The blobs had a bunch of python I already probably had, but there was no real alternative. That would have been similar for  sigil also with QT5 for epub crafting.  These days, sigil finally got into Debian and calibre is relatively up to date.  A snap or a flatpak would have been nice then.  Note - I am quite satisfied these days with Debian keeping up with version changes in both calibre and sigil. 

Looking at the present, I am converting away from virtual box to qemu-kvm - Debian bug 794466.  However some people going from Debian 8 to Debian 9 who suddenly find out their virtualbox is not operational might snap up a snap of virtualbox.  Peace out. 

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2017/02/03, 10:21:53 »
Thank you very much for your explanation devil, during the years I some times have had need for some application that wasn't in debian repos, and this will maybe be a solution if that will happen again.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2017/02/05, 00:32:10 »
So Snaps are like what I remember something similar called Click N Run (don't think it is around any longer) where you can pick an app to install from CnR website and the CnR package is downloaded and then clicking the CnR app to run. These packages have everything needed to run the app and it did not interfere with the system nor stomp all over any other files.

I kind of like Snaps as being like Android apk's.

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2017/02/05, 21:24:04 »
root:  snap login
Email Address: blah
Password of:  bleah

Really?  Are there other ways to authenticate?  Who do they think they are - google? 

I can hypothesize why a new root directory of "/snap"  is needed - sandboxing and compartmentalizing.  But 247.9 MiB for the setup is quite a bit bit of space for some users. 

I will keep my SNAP4.0  from the ESA for finding and downloading of Sentinel satellite images from the Arctic.  Loads from ~/.snap  For the ubuntu snap - apt-purge.   

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #12 on: 2017/02/07, 02:15:18 »
But 247.9 MiB for the setup is quite a bit bit of space for some users.

Really ?   :o :o

My smallest folder in my firefox bookmarks is bigger.  ::)  and that goes for my cellphones and tablets also.

What kind of system are you running that 247.9 MiB is a lot of space ?

I don't use snap or flatpak  (might try later, but not now)

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck