Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] no wifi / wlan connection to my new synology nas ds 213+  (Read 9991 times)

meshuggah

[EN] no wifi / wlan connection to my new synology nas ds 213+
« on: 2013/02/13, 17:20:18 »
Hi guys,

I have a very strange and even more frustrating problem with my NAS DS 213+ from synology.

When I am connected through wifi to my router, I am able to establish a connection to my NAS (CIFS) but if I try to copy files to my NAS, all processes involved begin to freeze. Often the only way to get my maschine running again is to reboot. But even this procedure often fails, too. So I have to do a hard reset.

I am running an up to date Siduction. The problem is not restricted to CIFS, I tried sftp, ftp and nfs as well, but every try gives me the same error / freeze. FTP connections to my sharehoster are working perfectly at the same time.

I tested this problem with siduction, ubuntu 04.12 on my pc (2different wifi-cards) and my laptop... all the same...

Has anyone an idea what I could try which setting i could try to avoid this problem?

Last but not least my dmesg output on failing CIFS connection:
Code: [Select]
[ 3468.799709] CIFS VFS: sends on sock ffff88035ab66f80 stuck for 15 seconds
[ 3468.799727] CIFS VFS: Error -11 sending data on socket to server

I know this problem is probably not linux / debian specific, but perhaps anyone has a good idea what i could try?

cheers

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: no wifi / wlan connection to my new synology nas ds 213+
« Reply #1 on: 2013/02/13, 22:54:41 »
Have you tried adding "noserverino" to mount options
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: no wifi / wlan connection to my new synology nas ds 213+
« Reply #2 on: 2013/02/14, 04:31:36 »
I have a Synology DS211+.  Mine's connected by ethernet and I mostly use it for rsync backups, and it's been flawless for that.  I like that it runs Debian and I'd be interested in the mount commands you are using for cifs.  I still haven't had time to experiment with the NAS this way, and it might get me motivated. :)

Thanks.
Linux Counter number 348347

meshuggah

no wifi / wlan connection to my new synology nas ds 213+
« Reply #3 on: 2013/02/15, 00:01:15 »
Hi, thanks for your answers...

sorry i forgot my mount options:

//192.168.1.7/Video     /media/synVideo cifs    defaults,username={username},password={password},rw,uid={username},file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,users   0       0
@piper no i did not even know this option, I'll try it tomorrow (too late this evening :-)

meshuggah

« Reply #4 on: 2013/02/15, 19:57:55 »
Ok, noserverino does not work either.

when my dolphin freezes, any connection to the mounted share causes a freeze. Even when I use the bash-autocomplete feature:

dir /media/synV{tab}
my terminal freezes... I could cry!!!

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/02/16, 05:07:33 »
Just a dumb idea, but, you do have the port(s) open for the NAS?  The address I use looks like this: https://192.168.1.120:5001/<DIR>.  I see you omitted the port above: //192.168.1.7/Video.

BTW - Thanks for the line for the mount, it helps a lot.

mylo

« Reply #6 on: 2013/02/16, 17:41:17 »
The 213+ is in my focus for a storage investment.
I hope, someone can help you solving this.
I would like, if you later on post some operation experience.

Thanks for that in advance and good Luck! I'll follow the thread.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/02/16, 21:18:05 »
Just investigating a bit more, I found an xbmc forum post that might be helpful.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109377&pid=880744#pid880744

Post #4 shows that a NFS Privileges entry has to be set up (first time I saw that).  Whether you have already done this already, or not, the xbmc post is a good step by step how-to to check your setup.

meshuggah

« Reply #8 on: 2013/02/17, 16:06:13 »
Thanks for the hint GoinEasy9.

Now I think my Router was involved in all this somehow. After I resetted the whole DS213+ which took a long time (backup, and formatting the disk), I experienced the same behaviour. Finally I restarted my Netgear Router.

When I start a copy-procedure now, my dolphin seems to hang in the beginning and it takes a time I can see the progress in the KDE information log. But everything seems to work ok again.
Nevertheless I decided to avoid wifi and pulled a 50m ethernet cable through my residence. I should have done this a ages ago :-)

@mylo: Except for the connection problem I am very satisfied with this NAS. It works very well for me as a movie-deliveryboy together with my Samsung TV. There is a little bug with the dlna/upnp media server some people (incl. me) experience: if you pause a film for more than some seconds the stream interrupts and the server program crashes:
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=47078&sid=948d7ecd3b740665412a433e8d9e4972
It seems that I am not the only one with this specific problem on the combination Netgear router, Samsung TV and DS213+.

On my diskstation the media server process has to be started again. You can do this via browser interface or restart the whole diskstation.

There are more third party media server programs available, but I did not test them yet.

I tested the webserver functionality as well wich was a decisive factor for me. Apache and MySql are working well but I think the DS213+ is not strong enough to perform a whole TYPO3 system I originally hoped it will. But I think it will be enough for more economical Systems.

I did not test much more yet, but if someone has a question I will not bite :-)

Offline ragupo

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/07/17, 21:27:15 »
I know im late to the game, but this is how I mount my synology 207+ drives (fstab entries)
10.0.0.3:/volume2/software      /media/software           nfs defaults 0 0
Allways worked for me

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/07/18, 06:15:45 »
Not at all late to the game.  It's nice hearing about others uses and experiences with Synology NAS units.  I still haven't got around to setting up nfs, but, it's nice to know your fstab line works for you. Now, I hope it works for me. :D