Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [solved] mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7  (Read 14091 times)

Offline orinoco

• User
  • Bullshit artist
[EN] [solved] mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« on: 2013/07/01, 17:37:05 »
I want to transfer files to/from my Nexus 7. I use mtpfs for this task.

What I've done so far was

enable user_allow_other in /etc/fuse.conf

and mount the device with

Code: [Select]
mtpfs -o allow_other nexus7.

After a while I received the message

Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=18d1 and PID=4e41) is a Google Inc (for Asus) Nexus 7 (MTP).
   Found 1 device(s):
   Google Inc (for Asus): Nexus 7 (MTP) (18d1:4e41) @ bus 1, dev 8
Attempting to connect device
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Listing File Information on Device with name: (NULL)

Listing directories (e.g. ./nexus7/Interner Speicher/Download/) was okay. But reading and writing ends with an error message and the folling line in /var/log/syslog

Jul  1 17:20:59 tuxor kernel: [ 4544.407879] mtpfs[26313]: segfault at 746e493b ip b72eb7f0 sp b70dee40 error 4 in libc-2.17.so[b7276000+16e000]

Can somebody confirm this?

Offline se7en

• User
RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: 2013/07/02, 01:52:42 »
Same problem for the nexus 4.
It worked till 3 weeks ago.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #2 on: 2013/07/02, 03:01:03 »
It's the same on Fedora and openSUSE also.  I have a Galaxy Nexus.  The only error I've ever seen is one asking if the phone was rooted.  Mine isn't.  I might check AirDroid.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #3 on: 2013/07/02, 03:24:12 »
Quote from: "GoinEasy9"
It's the same on Fedora and openSUSE also.  I have a Galaxy Nexus.  The only error I've ever seen is one asking if the phone was rooted.  Mine isn't.  I might check AirDroid.

So is this a bug as shouldn't this work with both rooted and stock phones?

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Re: RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #4 on: 2013/07/02, 06:24:04 »
I can download pictures marked as Camera with PTP, but not MTP, using Digikam.  There's a lot of links in Will Hill's G+ post about it here:
https://plus.google.com/113579520393333767984/posts/iTGyAusgQ7N

Unfortunately, why it worked previously, and, doesn't work now, is still a mystery for me.

Edit: AirDroid works. I can't open system files, but, I'm not rooted, so, that could explain that.  I can access my pictures and download them, at the moment, that's all I need.

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/07/02, 08:38:44 »
Never used the command line...

Nautilus works just fine with no editing of /etc/fuse.conf, using it from GNOME desktop.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/07/02, 08:48:29 »
Hmmm, I wonder what driver/library/method Nautilus uses to access mtp?

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/07/02, 11:58:29 »
Probably some gvfs related method
micha@siductionbox:~$ dpkg -l | grep gvfs
ii  gvfs:amd64                                       1.16.3-1                           amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - GIO module
ii  gvfs-backends                                    1.16.3-1                           amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - backends
ii  gvfs-bin                                         1.16.3-1                           amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - binaries
ii  gvfs-common                                      1.16.3-1                           all          userspace virtual filesystem - common data files
ii  gvfs-daemons                                     1.16.3-1                           amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - servers
ii  gvfs-libs:amd64                                  1.16.3-1                           amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - private libraries
There may be some more packages and libraries necessary as well. :?

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #8 on: 2013/07/02, 15:43:09 »
I can download pictures marked as Camera with PTP, but not MTP, using Digikam.  There's a lot of links in Will Hill's G+ post about it here:
https://plus.google.com/113579520393333767984/posts/iTGyAusgQ7N

Unfortunately, why it worked previously, and, doesn't work now, is still a mystery for me.

Edit: AirDroid works. I can't open system files, but, I'm not rooted, so, that could explain that.  I can access my pictures and download them, at the moment, that's all I need.

If you can root your Nexus why not try mtp again?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #9 on: 2013/07/02, 16:10:58 »
To root my phone many ions ago I did it from a command line
ln -s /system/xbin/sudo /system/bin/su
ln -s /system/xbin/sudo /system/xbin/su
to undo root (for some reason or another)
rm -rf /system/bin/su
rm -rf /system/xbin/su
if you want/need  busybox that is up to you to download from the android market
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/07/02, 18:17:41 »
After a year with my phone, and all the data and apps set up, rooting will wipe everything, and, I'm not looking for another project.

I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data, and, Verizon isn't a very nice company.  Besides, I have a rooted GTablet that I can tether to the phone if I wanted to play hacker.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/07/02, 21:09:48 »
gMTP works fine for me with Samsung s3 and Android 4.1.2

Offline orinoco

• User
  • Bullshit artist
[solved] mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #12 on: 2013/07/02, 22:30:25 »
My Nexus 7 isn't rooted, too.

As far as I can see, all "solutions" are based on libmtp[1].

As a kde-user I would appreciate it to see kio_mtp[2] in the repos. Or some advice to compile it on my own. The documentation looks straight forward[3], but this git-thing in step 2 makes me wonder. Does this mean to enter

orinoco@tuxor:~$ git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kio-mtp

[1] http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/
[2] https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/kio-mtp
[3] https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/kio-mtp/repository/revisions/master/entry/README

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #13 on: 2013/07/02, 22:50:43 »
After a year with my phone, and all the data and apps set up, rooting will wipe everything, and, I'm not looking for another project.

I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data, and, Verizon isn't a very nice company.  Besides, I have a rooted GTablet that I can tether to the phone if I wanted to play hacker.

Why not try a similarly configured tablet with this if you don't want to mess with your phone?

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mtpfs crashes with my Nexus 7
« Reply #14 on: 2013/07/03, 20:41:32 »
@DeepDayze  I'm not in a hurry.  Since it seems every distro is having this problem at the moment, I'll just wait for the mtp gurus to come up with a fix.
I still haven't tried adb, but, from what I remember, that required root also.

#orinoco  If you have the git packages installed, you can make a folder in home, enter that folder, bring up a terminal and execute the command in your code box and it will download the code, so you can work on it.  There is a git howto: http://chili.siduction.org/projects/siduction/wiki/Git-Howto_for_the_manual if you're interested.

I just looked and there is a libmtp-common in debian, and a libmtp8 and libmtp9, but no plain libmtp.  Which may or may not be problematic.  As far as kio-mtp, it also hasn't been active for a few months.  I agree it would be nice to have it, but, it's probably in the same state, since it depends on libmtp.