Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Mounting MTP from android phone, easy way, how?  (Read 17154 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Mounting MTP from android phone, easy way, how?
« on: 2014/07/08, 21:10:35 »
So, finally I had to by a  (un)smart phone for reasons we don't have to mention here.  One of the first problems I run in to was not being able to connect the phone to my siduction-computers for viewing photos shot by the phone. Normal usb-connection only shows the external sd-card. So I need mtp support on my computers.

Android 4.4.4 on the phone.

Siduction, XFCE on the computers

I have tried and now I found one way of doing it.

I installed jmtpfs

I modified /etc/fuse.conf to
Code: [Select]
]# /etc/fuse.conf - Configuration file for Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE)

# Set the maximum number of FUSE mounts allowed to non-root users.
# The default is 1000.
#mount_max = 1000

# Allow non-root users to specify the allow_other or allow_root mount options.
user_allow_other
It's the last line that shall be unchecked.

I created a mountpoint "mtp"

Now I can mount my phone as root with
# jmtpfs -o allow_other mtp
and read the files as user

and unmount, also as root with
# fusermount -u mtp

OK, that's working, but I want to be able to do this as a user, I don't want to became root to be able to mount and unmount the phone. Can this be done in some way? Maybe by a nice line in fstab?
« Last Edit: 2014/07/08, 21:17:55 by vilde »

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Mounting MTP from android phone, easy way, how?
« Reply #1 on: 2014/07/08, 22:09:49 »
I would use Airdroid or Droid over WiFi instead of fiddling with mtp.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/07/08, 22:53:58 »
I would use Airdroid or Droid over WiFi instead of fiddling with mtp.
They are working, I tried, but they don't let me see my photos directly from the phone in my favorite viewer. And I don't trust this apps either, I don't trust any apps....

I want a cable between the phone and the computer and be able to browse my files as I could before with my old phone and as I can with my digital camera.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2014/07/09, 01:40:23 »
If you have a separate sdcard, MTP won't work 

MTP is used for phones without removable sdcards instead of USB Mass Storage

If you say you have it working, hopefully you don't corrupt the sdcard (if removable)

What file system you using, ext4 or f2fs ?
« Last Edit: 2014/07/09, 01:44:22 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/07/09, 10:12:34 »
I use shotwell for all my photos and it mounts my phone as a camera or at least it did when I last tried it.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/07/09, 10:19:55 »
If you have a separate sdcard, MTP won't work 

If you say you have it working, hopefully you don't corrupt the sdcard (if removable)

What file system you using, ext4 or f2fs ?
My phone has one internal not removable "sdcard" and one removable sdcard. With the phones USB-settings on USB Mass Storage I will only be able to read the removable sdcard, thats working as a normal usb storage then. But I want to reach the internal sdcard and that has to be done with mtp, with the phones USB-settings on mtp. I don't want to write, just read and copy.

I use ext4 on my computers.

@ titan, I don't think any camera application can reach the photos on my phone without mtp

So, I still want to be able to mount my phone, with mtp, as user, preferable not writeable only readable

« Last Edit: 2014/07/09, 10:28:52 by vilde »

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/07/09, 11:05:11 »
you need to install the mtp libs  libmtp-common etc  . I have just taken a photo with my phone opened shotwell connected my phone which it sees it as gt i9300 I can see the photo and download it

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/07/09, 11:48:28 »
Quote from: vilde
Quote from: piper on Yesterday at 08:40:23 PMIf you have a separate sdcard, MTP won't work 

What file system you using, ext4 or f2fs ? My phone has one internal not removable "sdcard" and one removable sdcard. With the phones USB-settings on USB Mass Storage I will only be able to read the removable sdcard, thats working as a normal usb storage then. But I want to reach the internal sdcard and that has to be done with mtp, with the phones USB-settings on mtp. I don't want to write, just read and copy.

I use ext4 on my computers.

@ titan, I don't think any camera application can reach the photos on my phone without mtp

So, I still want to be able to mount my phone, with mtp, as user, preferable not writeable only readable

Every phone has one internal not removable "sdcard"

The file system I was asking about was on the phone itself, not computer ;)

Please just say what phone you have :)

titan, correct on the galaxy 3, but, are you really using MTP to look at your photo's or you using PTP, which is used for phones that don't support MTP (for camara, photo''s )

There is a way to use MTP on the galaxy 3 if USB debugging is enabled or thru adb

Ah, just did a little reading, so, starting with the galaxy 3 you can use MTP,  still, a lot of people are having problems according to the forums at cm.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/07/09, 12:58:19 »
Xperia Z1 Compact

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/07/10, 03:28:42 »
Have you tried going to > setting-xperia-connectivity change the mode MSC to MTP,  (if you are running stock, if running a modified rom, the setting above won't work)   the pictures are in DCIM/Camera, unless sony does something different, and make sure usb debugging is enabled

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2014/07/10, 10:03:41 »
Have you tried going to > setting-xperia-connectivity change the mode MSC to MTP,  (if you are running stock, if running a modified rom, the setting above won't work)   the pictures are in DCIM/Camera, unless sony does something different, and make sure usb debugging is enabled
The problem is well known,  With the phone settings to MSC, I can reach the removable sdcard only and nothing else, (and that's what it says in the manual also) with the settings MTP I will not see anything on my linux computers. MTP applications are made only for Windows and Mac.

The only way through usb-cable to reach my photos is to mount MTP.  MTP is made for windows users who are to stupid to unmount there usb devices before unconnecting them. And this great Linux-based Android shit will not make me browse my files with Linux, I have to use Windows or Mac for that. I've written it before and I still believe that Android is the death of the free Linux because even if Android is Linux and the core is free it's completely useless without the nonfree apps.

So, back to my original question, how do I mount and unmount my phone , MTP, (preferable only readable) as user??????????????

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2014/07/10, 10:42:35 »

So, back to my original question, how do I mount and unmount my phone , MTP, (preferable only readable) as user? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?

Gmtp

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/07/10, 11:57:49 »

So, back to my original question, how do I mount and unmount my phone , MTP, (preferable only readable) as user? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?

Gmtp
Not working, don't detect my phone. 

And again, I want to mount the filesystem on the phone so I can use it with all my preferred applications directly.  I don't want some sort of only download files support

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2014/07/10, 11:58:24 »
Well, it is a problem with the phone you have, as it wants/needs windows media player for MTP to to work properly.

MTP is an extension of PTP  (picture transfer protocol) and part of WMDRM (windows media drm) and is actually part of windows media framework.

My nexus 5 has no problems with MTP in linux,  apt-get install and it just works, been like that since the release of nexus 5.

Most of the problems I have seen are from OEM phones,  Sony, Samsung, etc,  but, that was late 2012/2013.

I stick to non-oem phones, so I can build my own system ;)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2014/07/10, 12:12:28 »
Can I see these commands with your phone plugged in to your computer. Make sure mtp-tools, kio-mtp,  mtpfs,  is installed (apt-get)

mtp-detect | grep idVendor
and

mtp-detect | grep idProduct
« Last Edit: 2014/07/10, 12:33:23 by piper »