Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Installing Linux on an Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 laptop  (Read 2562 times)

Offline masinick

[EN] Installing Linux on an Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 laptop
« on: 2021/07/18, 23:48:10 »
Installing Linux on an Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 laptop

I discovered, after floundering around for a while, that it is necessary to make the filesystem on this device organized for AHCI.

Making this setting, however, is not immediately obvious!

Here is the key tip:

First you go into the system configuration by pressing F2 immediately after pressing the power button. This will put you into the system configuration utility.

On the main screen you want to change the disk organization in the [SATA] grouping to AHCI. Here is the PROBLEM: This setting is NOT displayed by default. In order to fix this, once you are at the main screen, Press Ctrl S (pressing both the Ctrl and S keys together. THEN the [SATA] selection should appear. From that point you select it and change the alternative setting to AHCI, then save the system configuration settings and reboot the system.

At that point, you should be able to not only boot many of the common Live Linux distributions, you should also be able to install them.

In my case I created several partitions: 1) the first partition for /boot/efi - for the UEFI boot loader. 2) a swap partition; I made mine about 8 GB in size so that I can suspend and hibernate systems, if desired. 3) I was then able to create 3-4 additional partitions about 30 GB each in size, so that I could concurrently install 3-4 Linux distributions. You can do something different, but MAKE SURE that you use the Ctrl-S key sequence on the main Acer system configuration screen and that will allow you to modify the filesystem capability to support AHCI, critical on NVME SSD to allow it to handle (efficiently at that) Linux systems. It also happens to be a recommendation even for Windows 10 and 11; why Acer doesn´t make AHCI the default is beyond me, but at least there is a way to change it. Since I struggled understanding this, EVEN after having READ it at least once, I thought that I might not be the only one experiencing this issue, so here is another explanation; you CAN find this information on the Internet too, but this adds another (hopefully understandable) description of the problem and solution in simple terms, without getting into a lot of technical file system terminology.

Offline masinick

Re: Installing Linux on an Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 laptop
« Reply #1 on: 2021/07/18, 23:50:05 »
Of course, once I figured this out, siduction was one of the distributions that I installed.

No more Windows on this system, and I have had the system for less than a month (just a couple of weeks).

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2021/07/19, 06:05:20 »
Welcome to siduction and well done. 

Offline charlyheinz

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2021/07/20, 11:31:50 »
Some Laptops which are using iRST (Intel Rapid Start- Technologiy) to connect NVMe- drives are making trouble while trying to install any Linux. I've had this problem when I tried to install the latest Siduction repo (siduction-21.1.1-cblues-kde-amd64-202102190822) on an Ideapad C340. The installation- script did not find any Win- partitions. What I have to change was the Window setting for AHCI- support with regedit (Win was preinstalled with iRST-Support aktivated) befor I could change the iRST support to AHCI in the EFI of the Ideapad. After that I was able to install the a little bit older Siduction repo ( siduction-patience-kde-amd64-latest-30-01-21) . The actual one has a problem with os-prober which I could not figure out!
Found the solution here:
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-installation-on-computers-with-intel-r-rst-enabled/15347