Siduction Forum > Upgrade Warnings

apt autoremove - careful

(1/2) > >>

GoinEasy9:
After doing my full-upgrade I usually run apt autoremove. I've been doing my upgrades like this for years without incident. This time autoremove destroyed my install. It's not like we weren't warned about using autoremove way back in the sidux days, but, I became comfortable using it and didn't check what it was going to do carefully. So, I had to reinstall my siduction kde install.

BTW - There's a thread on the debian-kde mailing list about dist-upgrade causing the same damage my autoremove caused. Whether doing a dist-upgrade or autoremove, seeing that it wants to remove plasma-desktop should be a clue.

unklarer:
https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=8393.0

I assume you missed this thread.

I always use the du and the autoremove and have for years. No mistakes. I just have to read...   :D

finotti:

--- Quote from: GoinEasy9 on 2021/09/20, 06:21:56 ---After doing my full-upgrade I usually run apt autoremove. I've been doing my upgrades like this for years without incident. This time autoremove destroyed my install. It's not like we weren't warned about using autoremove way back in the sidux days, but, I became comfortable using it and didn't check what it was going to do carefully. So, I had to reinstall my siduction kde install.

BTW - There's a thread on the debian-kde mailing list about dist-upgrade causing the same damage my autoremove caused. Whether doing a dist-upgrade or autoremove, seeing that it wants to remove plasma-desktop should be a clue.

--- End quote ---

For future reference, you can look at /var/log/dpkg.log and see what was removed and reinstall.

tommy2:
The problem must be related to KDE as my XFCE and X-org "Fluxbox" went without a problems.

GoinEasy9:
Yes unklarer, while I usually do a translate to all Upgrade Warnings that aren't in English, I certainly missed this one.

Thanks finotti, but I spent an hour reinstalling everything that autoremove logged, and the result was a very damaged desktop. I gave up trying to fix it.

Thanks for the responses ... heh, lesson learned. I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version