Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 available in kdenext/experimental-snapshots  (Read 5385 times)

Santa

Hello,

KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 core packages weres uploaded to kdenext/experimental-snapshots a few days ago. You can install/upgrade it passing -t experimental-snapshots to apt-get/aptitude. I guess we won't move 4.11 to unstable at least until I have access to the "final" 4.11.0 tarballs.

Keep in mind that it's still a pre-release version and the taskbar code changed a lot as far as I know - I have found an issue myself; sometimes the things in the taskbar are too wide or are shrunk too much when  they shouldn't. Also there are already some patches fixing some taskbar issues in KDE's git, if I have time I will try to include them.

Last but not least, if you are usgin the new kdepim from kdenext/kdepim-ng I recommend you to wait a bit more before upgrading.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 available in kdenext/experimental-snaps
« Reply #1 on: 2013/08/03, 03:10:27 »
What other distro gets presents from Santa in the summer?

Thanks Santa
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline Lanzi

• User
RE: KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 available in kdenext/experimental-snaps
« Reply #2 on: 2013/08/03, 04:36:40 »
i can not test it now, since I am in Spain, and will not put my only Laptopsystem in danger - but I realy appreciate what you are doing, and under normal circumstances I would test it right now!!!

Thanks a lot for your efforts!!

Offline samoht

• User
Re: KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 available in kdenext/experimental- ...
« Reply #3 on: 2013/08/03, 11:00:35 »
Couldn't activate the kdenext/experimental-snapshots repo.
Tried
Code: [Select]
deb http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext experimental-snapshots unstable mainWhat is the right way?
Thanks for helping
Tom

Santa

« Reply #4 on: 2013/08/03, 11:18:56 »
Quote from: "samoht"
Couldn't activate the kdenext/experimental-snapshots repo.
Tried
deb http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext experimental-snapshots unstable mainWhat is the right way?
Thanks for helping
Tom

You should have these two lines:

deb http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext unstable main
deb http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext experimental-snapshots main

Then you can do the apt-get/aptitude -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade.

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/08/03, 14:36:00 »
Thanks, Santa,

will report after testing  :wink:

Greetings

Tom

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/08/03, 15:34:41 »
Noticed no serious bug so far :o .
Only one notification from powerdevil regarding action „DimDisplay“:
Das Profil „AC“ hat versucht, die nicht vorhandene Aktion „DimDisplay“ zu aktivieren. Dieser Fehler wird meist durch eine fehlerhafte Installation oder Einrichtung verursacht.Deleting corresponding (?) settings
rm -iv ./.kde/share/config/powerdevil*didn't help.

Greetings
Tom

UPDATED: Error message seems to be wrong. Screen blanking works normally.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 available in kdenext/experimental-
« Reply #7 on: 2013/08/03, 16:38:11 »
Thanks Santa -- Christmas comes early this year!  :)

I don't see the issue with the taskbar icons, so far.  The plasma-desktop seems to be working as expected.  I noticed the setting for KDE login sound is not picking up the previous configuration -- it is defaulting to "off" (as per siduction default, but not MY default).  :)

However, I also see the issue that samoht saw. Upon completing login, a message from KDE Power Management System appears, and says something like

"The profile "AC" tried to activate DimDisplay, a non-existent action.  This may be due to ....."

I'm running the nvidia driver, and an NEC LCD display -- no previous problems with power management, so it's apparently a bug.  I haven't left it alone for long enough to find out whether it will dim after a period of time.

EDIT:  Yes, screen blanking does work as expected -- the error message appears to be bogus.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

ghettoblaster

« Reply #8 on: 2013/08/04, 09:58:33 »
Thanx Santa, this is a nice holiday present! :)
I also can confirm no problems, except that DimDisplay message after login. Everything works as expected, so i agree to dibl.
I'm also running nvidia driver, 325.08 here on a Samsung LED display

Santa

« Reply #9 on: 2013/08/10, 21:21:22 »
UPDATE: I have upgraded the packages to the first pre-release tarballs. It seems the dimdisplay message is gone.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #10 on: 2013/08/10, 22:47:16 »
Excellent -- yes, the dimdisplay message is gone, and everything comes up cleanly on my rig.  Looks great -- thank you Santa.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/08/11, 01:42:44 »
kdevelop is not installable under 4.11. The problem seems to be a newly introduced dependency on the wrong package. It depends on libkasten1core1 (and friends) and it should probably depend on libkasten2core2.

greetz
devil

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/08/12, 08:36:36 »
Confirm dibl's posting. No more dimdisplay message. Great.
Thank you, Santa.

Santa

Re: RE: Re: KDE SC 4.11 rc 2 available in kdenext/experiment
« Reply #13 on: 2013/08/13, 15:09:57 »
Quote from: "devil"
kdevelop is not installable under 4.11. The problem seems to be a newly introduced dependency on the wrong package. It depends on libkasten1core1 (and friends) and it should probably depend on libkasten2core2.

greetz
devil

It wasn't related to the 4.11 update, but in any case it's fixed now, thanks for noticing.

P.S. My problem with the taskbar was fixed some time ago, before the .0 release arrived.