Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Impressions on install  (Read 3772 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Impressions on install
« on: 2012/01/03, 01:51:22 »
Hi, nice to see some lost "faces" here :)

I installed the XFCE version today, it worked quite well, the only problem I got was when I was prompted to install the unfree driver for my wifi device. As I understood the text on the installer it would do it for me by pressing the button, i think it was labeled "install module" or something. I know since before that it has been only the unfree repo wich is enable and therefore I could do ,it as I have done it before, install the driver manually, but that was not clearly from only reading the installer, probably I missed something.

After install, mounting of usb-stick didn't work. I had to install policykit_1 to make it work. This I later found on one of the German forums which is making me write this http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=1681
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 01:17:46 by ayla »

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Impressions on install
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/03, 04:56:05 »
I had the same experience when doing the install to my Thinkpad.  It prompted me about the installation of firmware-linux-nonfree, but, only activated the repos and didn't install the file.  I don't know if this is a bug in the installer or a feature that lets you know you need the file.  I guess the wording during the install could be modified.  I only noticed that firmware-linux-nonfree wasn't installed when the new kernel came in and I saw it was still missing.  

As far as the dual language forums, be patient. Since you've already recognized lost faces, you must remember the early sidux forums where the same information could be found in both the English and German forums.  Since siduction was born from the aptosid.de community, it's expected that most of the posts would be in the German forums.  It's only been a week since the RC was released, I expect that in the coming weeks the English forums will be as busy as the German ones, with most technical discussions shared equally.  Until then, Google Chrome/Translate works (for me at least) fairly well for scanning the topics.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
RE: Impressions on install
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/03, 08:54:39 »

I had the same experience when doing the install to my Thinkpad. It prompted me about the installation of firmware-linux-nonfree, but, only activated the repos and didn't install the file. I don't know if this is a bug in the installer or a feature that lets you know you need the file.

That sounds like a bug in the installer. It works (and worked during tests) fine for me, but with Intel wlan. i dont need firmwar-linux-nonfree. I will file a bug for that.

greetz
devil