Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Adding LXQT to KDE install - revisited  (Read 5647 times)

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
[EN] Adding LXQT to KDE install - revisited
« on: 2016/10/21, 07:19:10 »
About two years ago we were advised to not add LXQT to a KDE installation because both QT4 and QT5 would need to be installed. Is that still the case, or can LXQT now be added to a KDE installation?
I am hoping to migrate to LXQT eventually since KDE is getting more and more bloated with each  new version.
Thanks
bad_

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: Adding LXQT to KDE install - revisited
« Reply #1 on: 2016/10/21, 11:49:36 »
For me this is forbidden.
There's only crap out.

Or, why are not Distris with all desktops "in an ISO offered".   ???

What about it?  https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6394.0;topicseen

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2016/10/21, 18:36:11 »
@bad_aptitude - one could co-install LXQt without problems but i would like to suggest a lxqt installation in a own partition. Maybe i'm a little bit  picky if it comes to installations - i may have valid reaseons, depending on the point of view:
* Debian LXQt comes with only the needed tier 1 KF5 dependencies - the same as KDE use - so no problem
* Debian LXQt has xfwm4 asl WM - if one prefer kwin, i see no problems - the only reason for not include kwin-* right now is that LXQt has no tools for kwin-configuration, so one has to use the KDE ones - beside that i see no problems, kwin is a fine and able WM.
* One has to check twice which daemons come with kwin/KDE - it might be that there are/could be conflicting packages - not from packaging, but in functionality. That might hurt lxqt-qtplugin basicly.
* both kde and lxqt use sddm - so no problem

At least its a matter of taste, it should run just fine.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/10/21, 21:26:34 »
Thanks Melmarker, for your thoughtful and comprehensive response.
Not being a power user, I think I will just sit tight with KDE.

tmhind2

« Reply #4 on: 2016/10/23, 09:37:44 »
Great advice Melmarker that's how I have mine and "knock on wood" everything seems to work correctly on both.  ;)