Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [Solved] Firmware not installed bysidu-installer, even though it was selected  (Read 3292 times)

timc

I have been noticing some strange messages since reinstalling the december release a few days ago. Tonight I dug into them and was surprised by what I found.

Even though I had explicitly clicked the buttons to install the firmware for my network cards (Realtek r8169 and Ralink RT3062), I discovered that they had not, indeed, been installed. I corrected this by installing packages firmware-realtek and firmware-ralink.

I also found that what I thought was a standard package, firmware-linux, was also not installed. I don't know whether my system needs it, but I installed it anyway.

I rebooted and most of those strange messages are now gone.

Tim
« Last Edit: 2014/01/11, 02:33:11 by timc »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Only a guess - did you do a apt-get update before the installation? - And btw. firmware-linux is a meta-package, which throw in firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-linux-nonfree. it isn't installable without non-free enabled because of missed dependencies.

In other words - we can't provide it with the isos, if we wan't to met dsfg and make RMS (relative) happy too - RMS don't count, but debian does.
« Last Edit: 2014/01/11, 02:24:37 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

timc

No, how would I do an apt-get update before the system is installed?

I understand about the dsfg, but the installer gave me a specific page saying that it had detected my network cards and asking me if I wanted to install the nonfree firmware for them. I clicked the buttons to do so and it returned a screen that seemed to tell me it would install them. So I thought they would be installed, but they were not.

It's no big deal, I was just trying to let the support team know about it.

Thanks,
Tim

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
open a terminal and do
Code: [Select]
apt-get update

I don't know if it help in this case, but it is often a good idea to have the current package lists before the installation available.

Maybe we should add a point to the installer - depending on network available in the live system. Will discuss this with hama.

EDIT: if no networking available in the live system - bad luck, as we can't provide the needed firmware nor drivers with the iso - these things should be added before installation via usb or similar.
« Last Edit: 2014/01/11, 02:49:23 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)