Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Hello, and here's a Nala bug.  (Read 13191 times)

Offline WetGeek

• User
[EN] Hello, and here's a Nala bug.
« on: 2022/12/31, 16:21:44 »
Hello, I'm a retired software engineer in the US Pacific Northwest, where it's been said to rain all the time.  Hence my nickname, and my domain name.  I'm a Solus OS user, and in our forum we have a number of threads entitled "Other Interesting Distros, Part x."  I recently reviewed Siduction there, in a VirttualBox VM, and was quite impressed.  In fact, I plan to install Siduction on a spare laptop and use it for a while as a daily-driver.

During my exploration I was impressed with Nala, but found one bit of misbehavior I thought I'd share here.  When I do an update using nala update followed by nala upgrade, the final step is to run dpkg.  Twice now, nala (or apt) has gotten stuck at that point.  I've waited about 5 minutes the first time, then killed the process.  I thought I might have been too impatient, so the second time I wated about 10 minutes.  The progress ikons on the left keep moving, but no progress occurs.  This is what it looks like at that point.  I can always use apt instead, but I like the output that nala creates.  Is there anything I can do differently to make this work better?

Offline FT

Re: Hello, and here's a Nala bug.
« Reply #1 on: 2022/12/31, 17:27:45 »
New user here, I installed this realese yesterday for fun on real hardware
I pressed some randoms keys and "Y" was good for me.
Not too techical anwer but got the job done on my laptop :-X
Happy 2023

Offline WetGeek

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/12/31, 17:53:52 »
Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  Perhaps it's prompting for permission to continue, but I'm not seeing the prompt.

Since I posted that first bug report, I've now installed Siduction on a spare laptop, which is a duplicate of the one I use on a daily basis.  I'm answering you from there, this time.  I noticed that on hardware, an update and upgrade had the same problem as on the VM.

I think I'll try it again now, adding -y to the command.  I run the command from an update alias anyway, so I won't need to remember to do that.  That's probably what it's looking for.  Thanks again.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2022/12/31, 18:01:31 »
Hi WetGeek, 
hope it does not rain today :)
I have had the same issue happen to me twice during our tests, but none of the other devs could reproduce it. For me, it happened when packages, that needed a confirmation of their conf file (new conf coming in), were processed, just before the confirmation came up. After killing it, apt did the job just fine. I openend up an issue today: https://gitlab.com/volian/nala/-/issues/211

FT: Have not tried that, will do next time it does hang.

Happy New Year!

Offline edlin

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/01/01, 10:46:59 »
Yes, it are the dialogs that should be displayed for confirmation that remain invisible.
And I don't like to give a signature blindfolded. At least the confirmation suggestion (Y or N) is usually a good choice, so you can confirm with ENTER. But I don't like it any more than a hard abort of the upgrade.

edlin

Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline H-Cl

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/01/04, 12:38:56 »
The same issue here with an installation in VM-Ware.
Dignus est intrare (Acidix Hydrochloridix)

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/01/10, 13:51:58 »
I use up from now the --raw-dpkg Parameter to avoid this.

But now I see this Output from nala at the end.

What doe this mean ? illegal snapshot?

Code: [Select]
Prüfe Prozesse...                                                                                                                                                                                        
Prüfe Kandidaten...                                                                                                                                                                                      
Scanning processor microcode...                                                                                                                                                                           
Prüfe Linux-Kernel...                                                                                                                                                                                    

Der laufende Kernel ist aktuell.

Der Prozessor Mikrocode ist aktuell.

Es müssen keine Dienste neugestartet werden.

Es müssen keine Container neu gestartet werden.

Nutzer-Sitzungen mit veralteten Prozessen:

didi @ user manager service: systemd[1581]

No VM guests are running outdated hypervisor (qemu) binaries on this host.

Illegaler Schnappschuss.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2023/01/10, 14:01:15 »
What's unclar?
That's the output from needrestart package.
If you don't want so see it, purge needrestart.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2023/01/10, 17:12:19 »
Hallo Towo,
ich verstand die letzte Zeile nicht: illegaler Schnappschuss. Der Rest ist klar.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2023/01/10, 17:19:56 »
Ach sorry, hatte nicht gesehen, dass es da noch weiter ging.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #10 on: 2023/01/12, 07:17:19 »
Regarding the bug, where nala hangs, waiting for confirmation, the developer has reacted to my bug report.
So, for now, a workaround is to add --raw-dpkg, when you call nala. You can set up an alias to include that in your call.

To help fixing that bug, he needs /var/log/nala/dpkg-debug.log from an instance where nala was hung because that file gets deleted after every run. If you want to help with that, just let me know when you have a file that will have the needed information.
« Last Edit: 2023/01/13, 19:50:22 by devil »

Offline PCreto

• User
  • We live waiting for better days!
    • Paulo Corrêa Creto
« Reply #11 on: 2023/01/12, 14:49:51 »
Regarding the bug, where nala hangs, waiting for confirmation, the developer has reacted to my bug report.
So, for now, a workaround is to add --raw-dpkg, when you call nala. You can set up an alias to include that in your call.

To help fixing that bug, he needs /var/log/nala/dpkg-debug.log from an instance where nala was hung because that file gets deleted after every run. If you want to help with that, just let me know when you have a file that will have the needed information.
In my case, as I installed siduction today on real hardware, I was only able to upgrade the packages with pure APT, that is:
sudo apt update ; sudo apt full-upgrade
Best regards,
Creto

T+ = See you later

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #12 on: 2023/01/12, 19:55:57 »
To use nala all you need is
nala upgradeThat incorporates
apt update && apt full-upgrade

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2023/01/13, 10:41:00 »
To use nala all you need is
nala upgradeThat incorporates
apt update && apt full-upgrade
Where is this documented ?

I mean, that was the first of two reasons why I uninstalled nala in October/November 2022, after a 14 day test.
I came to the conclusion that nala exactly does not do this dist-upgrade/full-upgrade and in the long run, I will destroy my system.
------------------------------------
Wo ist das dokumentiert ?

Ich meine, das war der erste von zwei Gründen, warum ich im Oktober/November 2022, nala nach einem ca.14 tägigen Test wieder deinstalliert habe.
Ich kam zu dem Schluß, dass nala dieses dist-upgrade/full-upgrade genau nicht macht und langfristig gesehen, ich mir meine System zerstören werde.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #14 on: 2023/01/13, 10:52:35 »
man nala?
nala upgrade --help?
nala --help?

SYNOPSIS
       nala upgrade [--options]

DESCRIPTION
       By default nala will run the equivalent of apt update && apt full-upgrade --auto-remove.

Und zurzeit ist es die bessere Wahl noch die Option --dpkg-raw zu benutzen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently , it is wise to use always the option --dpkg-raw too!

Edit; In our manual too;
https://manual.siduction.org/sys-admin-nala_en.html#nala-package-management

« Last Edit: 2023/01/13, 11:00:43 by hendrikL »