Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  advice new install  (Read 4023 times)

O.G.

advice new install
« on: 2019/04/26, 22:35:16 »
Dear Siduction team
Thanks for Siduction, I have it on laptop and desktop and it works very well without any problem since a few years.I have a new laptop and my institution wants to have full encryption. Since I want to install Siduction by myself (instead having another distrib) I would like to know if it is possible with Siduction Patience 18.03.I am not used with encryption and lvm. It seems that having- /boot no encryption- a large lvm encrypt with inside classical partitions /usr, /var /home(- /Data no encryption)
should be a good solution (I want to avoid to have different encrypt partitions).

Is it possible with Patience 18.03 and Calamares installer ?
Thanks for advanceO.G.

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: advice new install
« Reply #1 on: 2019/04/27, 13:52:48 »
in the release notes a year ago:

Calamares – our not all that new installer
UEFI installs made easy
https://news.siduction.org/2018/05/release-notes-for-siduction-2018-3-0/

I don't know anything more recent.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: 2019/04/27, 19:26:03 »
Does your institution require that the entire system be encrypted, or only their data?  It is easier, IMO, to used an encrypted file or partition and leave the OS unencrypted.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

O.G.

« Reply #3 on: 2019/04/27, 21:30:20 »
Thanks for your comment, I have to verify but I think they prefer that the entire system is crypted.I think that the proposed scheme is possible, but the question is "easy or not, well supported by Calamares" ?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/04/27, 21:58:35 »
Please come to IRC to pick up a more recent image. Be aware, most of us live in a european timezone.

O.G.

« Reply #5 on: 2019/04/27, 22:05:11 »
Thanks.What is the irc siduction chanel ?I am also in a european timezone (France), what is the best moment for you ?

O.G.

« Reply #6 on: 2019/04/28, 23:07:57 »
Hello
Thanks to the fresh iso of Siduction and the wiki https://wiki.siduction.de/index.php?title=Verschl%C3%BCsseltes_System_mit_LUKS/dm-crypt_und_LVM_aufsetzen I was able to install today Siduction with /boot no encrypt, a wide encrypted LVM containing two partitions / and /home.I have only one password to enter.
Some remarks1) With
Code: [Select]
cryptsetup -c aes-xts-plain64:sha256 -y -s 512 luksFormat /dev/sda2 , the command
Code: [Select]
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 cryptsda2 gives an error message "Luks no recognized". So I copy/paste another crypsetup command containing some random command, and it was ok.
2) as explained by agaida : the cli-installer
3) I had also to manage uefi. Of course my first boot was a failure, due to uefi (I made nothing). Since I have a uefi partition (Dell "gives" ubuntu preinstalled with uefi), I keep the uefi partition and following the instruction https://wiki.archlinux.fr/GRUB#Mise_en_place_2, it seems that it is ok
the laptop boots, I have to enter the passphrase and enjoy xfce appears !

The only "not really" problem is an error message before grub. On the black screen, two lineserror : no such device: 564(lot of hex-numbers)erro : disk lvmid/yI(hex-numbers/(hex numbers) not availablethen waiting or typing keyboard : grub menu, siduction boots !

And I think that the video card is not perfectly managed, presence of flashs in tty or during the passphrase sequence.

Many thanksO.G.

O.G.

« Reply #7 on: 2019/04/29, 23:52:09 »

Hello
I think that the error message of grub is due to the fact that grub tries to open theme which is on an encrypted lvm/partition...