Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] xorg fluxbox no ethernet  (Read 1895 times)

billd

[EN] xorg fluxbox no ethernet
« on: 2018/11/08, 06:31:21 »
Hi all,New forum member here, though I've played with various iterations of Siduction over the years.
For some time I've been looking for a distro with fluxbox as the only WM/DE. I installed Siduction xorg recently and was surprised to find fluxbox already present. My issue is that before i can even get started i need internet. It does not seem to recognize my ethernet at all. Browsers come up as no server found. I ping known urls with no result as well. In the menu i see things that seem to be outdated such as ppp, but have yet to locate Network Manager or the like. What am i missing here? Thanks much for any advice!

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: xorg fluxbox no ethernet
« Reply #1 on: 2018/11/08, 10:01:28 »
su
dhclient

as mentioned in the release notes
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

billd

« Reply #2 on: 2018/11/13, 09:29:21 »
Hi and thanks!
Sorry to be dense but could you provide the url of the appropriate release notes? I've read several but so far nothing pertaining to xorg and fluxbox.
Specifically, i have not been successful in adding dhclient to my startup, so i must issue the command at every reboot.
Thanks again.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #3 on: 2018/11/13, 10:46:10 »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2018/11/13, 16:29:42 »
I guess the "problem" is the understanding, what the xorg iso should be - only a base with a minimum installed packages - so in the iso is no network-manager, no connman, no office and similar  - and we chose fluxbox because it is only one package. Same for isc-dhcp-client.

The xorg iso is a fine base for individual setups - ok, it can be used with fluxbox too. But the user has to customize it (aka adding networkmanagement, applications etc)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

billd

« Reply #5 on: 2018/11/15, 09:54:08 »
Thank you!
I admit that is it exactly. I knew it was a base for other desktop installs, but when i saw/ read it was fluxbox i was all set to change theme, edit menu, edit startup, and download some programs. I should have realized xorg is incomplete by definition, even for fluxbox.
At any rate, i am now on my way. I thank the Siduction team for including FB as a stand-alone WM/DE. I've been wanting to learn more about it but most distros offer it only in conjunction with others so that I'm never really sure which is in charge.
At this point i think my additional questions would be better asked in a fluxbox forum. I will, of course, continue to follow along here for Siduction-specific issues. Thanks for getting me started! Siduction rocks!