Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] could there arise any problem after writing 64bit-Iso to USB using 32-bit comp?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
All said in the subject, but nevertheless:

I have problems with my laptop (64bit) and want to chroot into it. I have a 32 bit *installtion* on USB which is ok for fsck on 64bit, but not for chroot. So I need a 64mb ISO dd-ed to a USB stick. But I have available only a 32 bit computer.

In my understanding it shouldn't matter, but I'm not sure ...

Q: why don't you try it?

A: I felt I'd like to ask to have an answer ready when it wouldn't work. But then I tried it, and .. no problem.

And, my compliments to the team, it boots fast as hell, a few seconds, wow. (now I try to repair my installtion)

(What I want to do with the chroot is to rewrite two corrupted files back: librt.so.1 and libutil.so.1 . How do I find out to which packages they belong?)

A: don't use apt-file
Q: why?
A: because for apt-file search <file> to work, it needs a database. So you are asked to run "apt-file update" which does not create a DB from your installed files but downloads the completed db from all repos you've in sources.list(.d)*
Q: How do you know?
A: I did  run "apt-file update". But while downloading it I found the package using
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents
« Last Edit: 2014/08/30, 20:00:10 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Hello michaa7,

the act of writing a file onto an usb device doesn't cause problems. The file will not be modified.

If your target computer is very new and "Certified for Windows 8"  there might be issues with UEFI and "Secure Boot", but that's another story and not caused by your x86 platform.

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)