Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Calamares cannot partition disk and Slow Virtual Box  (Read 2090 times)

Offline finotti

• User
[EN] Calamares cannot partition disk and Slow Virtual Box
« on: 2022/05/11, 20:54:32 »
I was trying to install the latest ISO on a new laptop: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/For-Gaming/TUF-Gaming/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-F15-2022/techspec/

I set the partition manually, but when installation started I got a message like "Calameres cannot partition disk".  If relevant, I would be dual booting, and so I just tried to shrink Window's main partition, split in two (one for /boot/efi and one for /), and install siduction.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Since this was not working, I tried to install it in Virtual Box (under Windows 11).  At first I would get a black screen after selecting "boot from CD".  Then, I tried the kernel parameter "intel_iommu=igfx_off".  It booted but took several minutes...  It is installing now, but it is, so far, *very* slow..

Any suggestions on how to properly install siduction on Virtual Box?

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: Calamares cannot partition disk and Slow Virtual Box
« Reply #1 on: 2022/05/11, 21:16:48 »
Quote from: finotti
I set the partition manually,
I guess they rolled the dice, right?

and so I just tried to shrink Window's main partition,
How?

I wonder how you can deliver such crap with such a long time in siduction.   ::)

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/05/12, 01:06:18 »
Quote from: finotti
I set the partition manually,
I guess they rolled the dice, right?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean..  Do you mean that setting partitions in Calamares is not recommended?

and so I just tried to shrink Window's main partition,
How?

I wonder how you can deliver such crap with such a long time in siduction.   ::)

I am sorry...  I would be glad to provide more info, but I thought it was clear.  I tried using Calamares to set the partitions.  I used it to shrink the Windows partition, created an 800MB fat32 partition for /boot/efi in the new empty space and used the rest (of the empty space) as ext4 for the root partition.

Everything looked good and started the installation, but as soon as it started, it gave the error message above.

On the other hand, I now have rebooted with the live ISO and did the same partition scheme with gparted.  All went well and I was able to install siduction using the created partitions.

Indeed, I should have thought of that earlier, so I apologize for the noise.  But is that a well know problem with the installer?

I was also surprised by how poorly it ran on Virtual Box, but I don't have to worry about that now, I guess...

Sorry, again, for the noise.

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2022/05/12, 09:15:54 »
Apology accepted because you knew exactly what to do to get help on the forum.   ;D