Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [Solved] The desktop background does not refresh in Openbox  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
Hello all.

I've found a problem which doesn't seem to be unique to Siduction; when I'm in Openbox and try to move a window around the desktop, the desktop doesn't refresh and the window leaves a trail all around the screen.
Fortunately there's a fix for it, which I found from a Ubuntu forum. You have to look for a directory called /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu and then, in that, a file called openbox-autostart. Then uncomment this line;
#test -z $BG || $BG -solid "#303030"
« Last Edit: 2019/06/30, 00:25:37 by Colonel Panic »

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
Re: [Solved] The desktop background does not refresh in Openbox
« Reply #1 on: 2020/03/01, 14:06:19 »
Hi again,
I just want to say that I'm in Ubuntu 19.04 now and have discovered this exact same problem (and the same solution) there as well, so it's clearly not a problem exclusive to Seduction. I've just joined the Ubuntu One forum and mentioned it on there.
« Last Edit: 2020/03/01, 14:21:56 by Colonel Panic »

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
« Reply #2 on: 2020/03/01, 16:57:03 »
Quote from: Colonel Panic
I'm in Ubuntu 19.04 now

I expect, but only for your test. Disco is EOS.

the Ubuntu One forum

Probably you mean ubuntuforums.org.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2020/03/01, 19:15:52 »
"I expect, but only for your test. Disco is EOS."

Thanks, you're right. It's possible they've fixed the bug by now and should check to make sure. I installed Ubuntu 19.04 from a cover disk from an old Linux magazine (Linux Format) and probably shouldn't have.

"Probably you mean ubuntuforums.org."

Thanks again; I found the Ubuntu homepage confusing. I had to sign up to Ubuntu One before I could post there, but you're right about that being its address.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2022/03/04, 14:08:18 »
(Bumped, because I don't feel this justifies a new thread.)

I've had a similar problem in Fluxbox, but was unable to find the cause of it except that it was connected to a setting in the init file I was using at the time so I simply replaced it with another one, restarted fluxbox and the problem went away. Because the entries in the two init files were in a different order, it would have been very hard indeed to track down which setting in the init file was responsible for the problem but if anyone else knows what the problem might have been I'd be interested to know about it (a Google search didn't prove fruitful).