Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [single incident, fixed] XFCE 4.12 Session unexpectedly terminates at startup  (Read 2082 times)

Offline bullgard4

• User
[topic split from the xfce4.12-transition thread, as it is no packaging issue. cheers, musca]

the xfce 4.12 transition has started and a few packages have been uploaded for amd64.Please let the packages settle down a bit.
I thought that the tranistion to Xfce4.12 went smoothly with me until about 3 days ago a ticker appeared at the bottom and I cannot log in normally using lightdm.
After putting in my credeintials into lightdm a ticker at the bottom appears telling in sequence that Session data, Windoe manager, Xfcesettings daemon, Panel, Thunar, Desktop manager and Autostart have been successfully started. Then the display darkens. After a while the lightdm Login manager re-appears. After putting in my credentials, the ticker starts again. This cycle repeats itself ad infinitum.
There is a workaround: Ctrl+Alt+F1 brings up a Linux console. It accepts my user credentials. startx will start a second session an another lightdm login window. It accepts my user credentials, and after a while the programs from my Autostart will start indeed. From now on everything weems to work smoothly.
'# journalctl -xb'  reflects this as:
-- Unit session-c1.scope has begun starting up.
Jun 01 12:22:56 siductionbox systemd[1384]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
Jun 01 12:23:34 siductionbox lightdm[1380]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session closed for user lightdm
Jun 01 12:23:34 siductionbox lightdm[2478]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session opened for user <myusername> by (uid=0)
« Last Edit: 2015/06/23, 08:25:35 by musca »

Offline bullgard4

• User
Re: XFCE 4.12 Session unexpectedly terminates at startup
« Reply #1 on: 2015/06/11, 08:25:00 »
I found out a brutal workaround:
Clicking Xfce4.12 Applications menu > Settings > (Settings) > Session and start behavior > Start picture > (left-hand pane) > Balou. I  replaced »Balou> with »None«. After that the default background image (sometimes called »desktop backdrop«) will appear.
Regards,
bullgard4
« Last Edit: 2015/06/11, 08:30:49 by bullgard4 »

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/06/11, 14:02:43 »
Why do you call that 'brutal workaround'? The most Xfce-Distros I know (for example SolydX, Xubuntu) have "none" as default there. It's up to the user to activate and configure it if one wants some extra splashscreen stuff.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline bullgard4

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/06/11, 17:29:45 »
Why do you call that 'brutal workaround'? The most Xfce-Distros I know (for example SolydX, Xubuntu) have "none" as default there. It's up to the user to activate and configure it if one wants some extra splashscreen stuff.
Because the Siduction Xfce distribution maintainer made Balou some weeks ago the default and I counteracted him.
Regards,
bullgard4

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2015/06/11, 17:34:10 »
Because the Siduction Xfce distribution maintainer made Balou some weeks ago the default and I counteracted him.

Totaly wrong!
Balou is default since begin of xfce-spin of sidux/aptosid/siduction!
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline bullgard4

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/06/12, 07:19:07 »
So let me correct: s/made Balou some weeks ago the default/made Balou the default/