Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] New hardware with UEFI and SSD  (Read 21409 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] RE: Re: RE: New hardware with UEFI and SSD
« Reply #15 on: 2012/05/08, 22:19:20 »
That should work on a USB 3.0 stick with 32 GB I own.

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: New hardware with UEFI and SSD
« Reply #16 on: 2012/05/08, 23:40:11 »
Yes, I was thinking even 8 GB or 16 GB would work just for the experiment.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2012/05/09, 01:51:03 »
That link mentioned above:
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?57778-How-I-%28sort-of%29-conquered-UEFI&p=290708&viewfull=1#post290708
really is interesting. Beside it is not a manual, more like a journey of errors. But it tells

- Ubuntu is error free able to install grub-efi (*)
- if you learned your lesson efi-gpt is for the better

My question solved: That efi-FAT32 partition can be used as a fully functional /boot partition. Which by the way would solve potential issues using btrfs as /-root. But I would like to see a structured tutorial of this issue. A text the reader is able to differentiate output from input. Not just such a horror story of a personal journey ...

(*) PS: also should Debian sid, if not yet then hopefully soon. Colin Watson normally does merge upstream to Debian in a timely manner.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2012/05/09, 05:23:39 »
Well, the systems built.  Although I had no POST and had to go through manual diagnosis, reseat all the connections, then find out that one of the DIMMs was bad.  Par for the course I guess.

I'm going to have to make a UEFI bootable USB stick, because none of the Linux CD/DVD's are booting.  The Fedora 17 Live 64bit KDE CD was actually recognized as UEFI bootable, but, died trying.  Which I expected actually, the TC3 release has been a horror show.  I always used 32 bit on my installs, so, I don't have a collection of 64 bit iso's handy.  I'll have to download 64 bit versions of siduction, Kubuntu and Mageia (Thanks ralul, Mageia is a good idea.)  I've also just read that LMDE 12 is able to boot in UEFI mode, so I'll give that a try also.

@devil I bought a USB 3.0 32gb stick also, originally to test usb 3.0 with this system, although I'll probably use one of the smaller sticks for the experiments.  I really only need a 4gb stick modified to UEFI for installation.
Also, thanks for the new advice re: your SSD tutorial.  I'm still going to leave the SSD out of the picture until I figure out, step by step, how to get the UEFI boot working.

@dibl Thanks for pointing to Kubuntu, I needed to know one distro was up to the task.  That link you and ralul posted, those last 2 paragraphs say it all.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'm sure with all the options I'll be able to come up with a solution.  Anyway, enough for today.  Seven days straight of work coming up, so, the testing will go slow the next week.  I'll post when I have some progress to report.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #19 on: 2012/05/09, 08:57:39 »
I luckily have a MSI  H67MA Mainboard that supports BIOS and U/EFI. So I had no initial problems.

greetz
devil

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #20 on: 2012/05/10, 00:05:33 »
There is also a thread on the devel.list from Tanguy Ortolo (I linked his blog on EFI with debian on page 1)with some good general information from e.g. Steve Langasek and many others. Find it attached here.

greetz
devil

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2012/05/10, 04:52:26 »
I just lost my post because it asked me to log in again, damn.  No time to recreate it, work tomorrow.

Thanks devil for the link, it makes sense from what I've learned so far, and, Kubuntu worked, out of the box. I'll share the details when I get more time.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #22 on: 2012/06/01, 22:01:06 »
I think, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface has good info.
also the UEFI part of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2 and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders.

I just got my 2nd. SSD and will do a reinstall of my workstation to have a 60 GB SSD for / and a 120 GB SSD (both Vertex 3) for /home.

I have been asking myself for 2 days if I should try EFI or not now. I am a bit reluctant as this is my workstation and I need it up and running by Monday morning sat the latest.

It does not help that my 16 GB USB 3 stick seems to have died yesterday. I was gonna test with that before going on the real iron.
So i am still undecided...

greetz
devil

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #23 on: 2012/06/01, 22:41:13 »
I think, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface has good info.
also the UEFI part of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2 and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders.

I just got my 2nd. SSD and will do a reinstall of my workstation to have a 60 GB SSD for / and a 120 GB SSD (both Vertex 3) for /home.

I have been asking myself for 2 days if I should try EFI or not now. I am a bit reluctant as this is my workstation and I need it up and running by Monday morning sat the latest.

It does not help that my 16 GB USB 3 stick seems to have died yesterday. I was gonna test with that before going on the real iron.
So i am still undecided...

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #24 on: 2012/06/01, 23:28:36 »
Let us know how you do -- I'm sure the next system board that I build on will be UEFI.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #25 on: 2012/06/01, 23:42:26 »
"I have been asking myself for 2 days if I should try EFI or not now. I am a bit reluctant as this is my workstation and I need it up and running by Monday "
:)
süß
that is exactly what keeps me going on using gpt-hybrid-mbr
:)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #26 on: 2012/06/02, 01:21:37 »
Hiya

Well as I said in the last post, Kubuntu worked out of the box.  It created the 100Mb Fat32 ESP and used Grub2 as the bootloader.  Unfortunately, it blew up when a new kernel came in.  I reinstalled, but, typing sudo su bothered me, and, having the Nvidia drivers preinstalled didn't give me the opportunity to use nouveau, so I replaced it with fedora 17.

I used the same partitioning with Fedora, making sure all the partitions were formatted, and, after shutting off SELinux, was able to get it to install in UEFI mode.  Seems SELinux couldn't write file contexts to the Fat partition during install, even though it works fine now fully enabled.  Fedora still uses grub legacy and during formatting, changed the FAT32 partition that the ESP resides on to a FAT16 format.  I didn't even notice till I started looking closer as it works fine and accepts new kernels without error.

One curiosity though.  It seems even though I formatted the hard drive completely.  The UEFI bios is still listing the Kubuntu install as one of the options for boot.  I still haven't found where this info is kept, that is, where it can be retrieved after a hard disk format.  So, I'm still searching through documentation etc., trying to figure out how everything works before I move to install it permanently onto the SSD.

efibootmgr shows Kubuntu, as it has files in /sys/firmware/efi/vars/, but, how it retained the info is alluding me at present.  Is the bios/cmos holding the information?  Still not knowledgeable enough on UEFI to come up with an answer.  Even though I've been through Rod's how-to's a couple of times.  The next stop will be the Intel UEFI specs.

I still haven't had the time to try the Debian conversion install.  Install in MBR, then convert to EFI.  I'd like to learn everything that is happening first before I start experimenting.

BTW - Fedora's not using kernel stub support (legacy grub), I'm assuming Kubuntu was, since it was using Grub2.  I'd like to take a look and see what difference that makes, if it makes any difference at all (as to what is kept in the config files).  F18 already has stub support working (I'd like to try that also), but I'll let that cook for a while.  Seems Fedora/Red Hat are considering registering a key for UEFI Secure Boot, and, that has a whole lot of people raging.  The mechanism for UEFI and Secure boot have my attention at the moment.  One tends to learn a bit when the devs are arguing about it.

BTW2 - I found out I can boot the siduction CD on this motherboard, so, I guess it can do legacy bios.  The one strange thing happened though.  Just booting the Live CD and then exiting changed the time on the motherboard to German time.  That was odd huh?

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #27 on: 2012/06/02, 13:40:06 »
In january Matthew Garrett from Red Hat spoke in LinuxConf Australia an hour about UEFI problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aq5M3Q76U
And howto manipulate the starter list, and that there are bugs by which you can make you system unbootable forever. And UEFI is a full OS - the kernel bigger than the linux kernel ....

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #28 on: 2012/06/02, 15:23:09 »
heh, kano already needed to have his cmos chip reset after playing with efi.
I guess the kernel is bigger because it needs to be static (no initrd).

greetz
devil

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #29 on: 2012/06/02, 15:28:59 »
I tend to do a traditional BIOS install on GPT and switch that over to efi afterwards. Some more reading today, then installing and converting tomorrow. The risk of not having my workstation on Monday is to high.

greetz
devil