Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  KDE SC 4.11.2 arriving to kdenext  (Read 16936 times)

Offline ReinerS

• User
KDE SC 4.11.2 arriving to kdenext
« Reply #15 on: 2013/10/04, 09:44:48 »
It must have been a kernel thing - I dist-upgraded (it included a kernel update) and things are working again.

I can confirm that too, did an du late last night to kernel 3.11-3 and after reboot this mornig my DVD-Drive is "seen" again.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #16 on: 2013/10/04, 09:58:39 »
Regarding device recognition, please see
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?msg=32923#32923
Greetings
Tom
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 01:25:57 by ayla »

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #17 on: 2013/10/04, 09:59:40 »
Quote from: "piper"
The last link also shows my window style which for now is qtcurve and osx aurorae as window decoration, I don't have a problem with icons or icons being resized

Which icon size do you use for small icons and which icon size for dialogs?

I can only see that the style (not the decoration) seems to be Plastique looking at the desktop context menu and tabs of dolphin.
Susan | Hardware: SysProfile
Music-Profile: http://www.last.fm/de/user/spacepengu

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2013/10/04, 10:14:46 »
I should just add that although the DVD/CDROM and card reader wouldn't automount, USB flash Drives will.

Also the kernel upgrade to 3.11.3 didn't fix it for me.

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #19 on: 2013/10/04, 10:18:44 »
I can use my card reader only when my PC boots with inserted card...

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #20 on: 2013/10/04, 10:33:02 »
I have this Problem with my cardreader that comes with broadcom ethernet chip.
I think I`ll have to wait some kernel versions.

Can you see something like the following in /va/log/messages ?

Code: [Select]
mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt

if you have a bcm57785 ethernet/cardreader chip your workaround is:

modprobe -r tg3
modprobe tg3

removing and loading the ethernet driver brings up your sdcard!
strange!
just testet under linuxmint 15 will install siduction this weekend to see if that problem is up with the latest kernel.

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2013/10/04, 11:59:57 »
The latest du (10:32 in UK) of mostly KDE upgrades ie. from KDE 4.11.2-0r0 to 4.11.2-0r1 seems to have fixed my problem Both DVD/CDROM and card reader now automount, appear in the notifier and in Dolphin/Places.

Whoever fixed this gets my thanks.

Two other small problems.

(a) The eject icon in the notifier opens the tray and closes it immediately. I have to manually eject to get the media out of the drive.

(b) When running Krunner and selecting superuser mode from the drop down menu the superuser password dialog fails to appear and krunner eventually times out.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #22 on: 2013/10/04, 15:18:25 »
Quote from: "spacepenguin"
Quote from: "piper"
The last link also shows my window style which for now is qtcurve and osx aurorae as window decoration, I don't have a problem with icons or icons being resized

Which icon size do you use for small icons and which icon size for dialogs?

I can only see that the style (not the decoration) seems to be Plastique looking at the desktop context menu and tabs of dolphin.

Hi spacepenguin

I have my small icons set at 22 & dialogs at 32

I don't use dolphin much, hardly at all, 99.9 % I use konqueror
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #23 on: 2013/10/04, 15:54:48 »
Could you please try with dialogs set to something bigger, piper?

BTW: It is not the Plastique style, it is Cleanlooks. Concerning the icon sizes there seems to be a bug with the built in window styles. I could verify this on a Kubuntu system. When I use the window styles Plastique, CDE, Motif, Clearlooks, Windows 9x the small icon size is ignored and 16 is used. And the dialog icon size is partly ignored, the icons in the systemsettings overview are displayed in size 32, the icons in the module sidebars are in correct size.

But in Kubuntu the style doesn't switch to Cleanlooks on its own (which causes the small icons). It is strange that I have this behaviour with all user accounts in siduction...

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #24 on: 2013/10/05, 13:41:10 »
Here is the dialogs set to 48

http://home.roadrunner.com/~piper_1/images/large%20icons.png

I will test Plastique, CDE, Motif, Clearlooks, Windows 9x when I get home from work today
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #25 on: 2013/10/05, 14:13:05 »
All applications look ok - it is only systemsettings overview that suddenly doesn't use icons larger than 32 after login. The problem is right after login. Then I can change it - but next login it is lost again, the desktop context menu icons are16 and the systemsetings overview icons are 32 and the window style looks like cleanlooks. Thanks for testing.

Why the built in cleanlooks...? I did never use it...

Santa

« Reply #26 on: 2013/10/05, 15:13:46 »
Quote from: "ReinerS"
Hmm, sinec 2 days (after an du) the desktop-switcher applet has only 1 row instead of 2. Changing it lasts only until the next login.

I can't reproduce this problem.

Quote from: "ReinierS"
Someof my  Desktop-settings/-effects are gone

You need to be more specific about this, otherwise there isn't much that can be done to fix it.

and, even really worse, kde doesn't know anymore about the installed "known" applications within the menue or when to open/handle embeded files in kmail. All entries within "Anwendungen" are gone completely.

I can't reproduce this problem, kmail opens attached files perfectly here. And the menu has everything which is suposed to have.

The control-bar is acting strange

You need to be more specific, without acess to your computer I don't know what "acting strange" is meaning here.

and the task-list applet doesn't allow to activate/switch to  tasks which are not on the current desktop.

I can't reproduce this problem.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #27 on: 2013/10/05, 20:07:08 »
@santa: Hmm strange.

The desktop-swsitcher. is constantly showing my 6 Desktops in one row on the contol-panel. The setup of the rows seems to default to 0 where it should be at least 1 instead. I change it to 2 and its ok until the next login. Then it is set to 0 again.

The desktop setup of the theme is gone, especially the window decorations/buttons. transparancy is lost.

Is not only the problem of attached files or how to open them, the K-Menu seems to have lost all infos about installed programms. Dolphin doesn't know any any more which program to use how to open them as he seems also have forgotten about all programms (i.ed shows no program for opening .pdf-files).
Thunar however (gtk-based) has no problems at all with that. Krusader which was placed in an control panel cannot got a strange icon there and cannot started from there any more. I have to open a terminal and call it manually.

If these problems are not appearing on other systems than something really strange is going on here. Maybe it is again about time to clean up and reinstall (which I inteded to do anyway with next release if it comes with systemd).

For time being I am using xfce instead.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #28 on: 2013/10/05, 21:38:27 »
I dunno -- I have followed this thread with some anxiety, but playing with my KDE 4.11.2 desktop does not show any issues.

My application style is set to QtCurve, my desktop theme is air, my icon theme is oxygen team, and my window decorations are air-oxygen-style.

With widgets unlocked, I increased my panel height a bit, and changed the desktop pager to show my 4 virtual desktops in 2 rows, versus the default 1.  It changed to a square of 4 virtual desktops.  I set it to show the icons and that works.  I locked the widgets, logged out, killed X, then restarted X and logged back in.  Everything is set as I left it.  Dolphin is working perfectly, and showing the places and devices in the left panel as expected.

I don't normally change the icon sizes, but I'm going to have a little play with that and see if it shows the issue that spacepenguin saw.

EDIT:  I changed small icon size from 16 to 32, saw the sample icons get larger, applied it, and logged out and shut down X, restarted KDM and logged back in and checked it.  It was still set at 32.  I changed it back to 16, saw the sample icons reduce in size, and applied it.  I'm not sure where in my normal viewing of files I would see "small icons" -- it's not something I use, I guess. But the settings do appear to be working as expected.  So I wonder if this has to do with the Cleanlooks style, rather than the KDE settings.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #29 on: 2013/10/06, 07:01:45 »
Hi,

as dibl said, no problems here at all.
Using Oxygen/Oxygen. Effects: Kscreen and transparency.

Greets
ayla