Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] dash upgrade fails, resulting in /bin/sh linking to nonexisting dash  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Carnophage

• User
    • http://carnophage.wordpress.com
Just in case someone does an upgrade in the middle of the night: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=888180
In case You did, simply doing
Code: [Select]
cp /usr/bin/dash /binmakes the system usable for the time being.
« Last Edit: 2018/01/24, 20:36:03 by Carnophage »

Offline drooghead

• User
Thanks Carnophage you saved me. I was just about to reinstall thinking I had corrupted something when my log file filled the disk but now all is good except for sddm starting on vt7 but the console remaining on vt1 but I can live with that.

Offline samoht

• User
Thanks @Carnophage!

Last night (German local time) I was desperate because this error ("critical" indeed) right at the beginning of the full-upgrade process made my main installation unusable.
What a relief when I saw your post this morning!
« Last Edit: 2018/01/24, 18:13:22 by samoht »

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Thank you @Carnophage. This bug bit me last night on a laptop and I could not figure out what was causing the "sh" error message.  You saved me!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Jan46

Thanks Carnophage! Saved by your post.
I also did an upgrade this night and could only start in a terminal and tried to do an update but also no networking possible.
Everything fine now  ;D

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Installing apt-listbugs will let you know about known bugs before the dist-upgrade starts. the bug in dash was advertised there last night.

Offline samoht

• User
Thanks, @devil, learned something again.
Greetings,
Tom

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
The dash bug was not so nice - but  it should be no reason for apt-listbugs. (Cannons vs. little birds) - to be a little bit more verbose about: apt-listbugs make no sense in the very most cases a) there was a wrong upload, nobody noticed the bug, hey - it will hit you. b) The bug in charge is fixed, the fix was uploaded: Cool, fine, perfect world - with an exception: The bug is closed in the Debian BTS shortly after the upload, so the fixed package will be built and uploaded to the mirrors within a few hours - apt-list bug will not show the bug anymore, congrats: the bug will hit you within the time until the next sync :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Quote from: melmarker
... the bug will hit you within the time until the next sync ...

That happened to me, I guess.  apt-listbugs is installed and working, but there was no warning.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
That wasn't meant as a general apt-listbug bashing - but imho apt-listbugs is to noisy and misleading some times - and the very most bugs apt-listbugs show are out of my horizon - or i'm not really interested in :D

So it is a nice application if one is _really_ interested in and want to check every thing apt-listbug find. I for myself take another approach - just install things and file bugs (or check existing ones afterwards and maybe send a patch)

EDIT: if bitten and no way to get the damn thing working: just boot with bash as init and add a symlink /usr/bin/dash -> /bin/dash 8) - Reboot, done.
« Last Edit: 2018/01/24, 18:54:06 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)