Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  first install attempt... oops!  (Read 8158 times)

crankypuss

first install attempt... oops!
« on: 2016/01/20, 10:33:16 »
Okay, starting with the 32bit LXQT paintitblack ISO downloaded yesterday.  Note that I did not spend much time reading the manual, that would be cheating! <g>

1. Installer's graphical grub menu boots up nicely on Dell XPS13, but didn't try to install there, the XPS13 is (almost too) easy, we'll try the problem-child...

2. Moving to ASUS T100.  This tablet/keyboard combo is UEFI-only.  Bay Trail 64bit processor with OMG a 32bit EFI firmware.  The 32bit stretch netinst will install on this box but some gymnastics are required to set up and keep a network connection, and then you get to go through the usual "find your driver" circus.  Note my only network connection is via cellphone or aircard, usually just make the phone act as a wifi hotspot.

The  graphical grub menu did not show up on this box, but USB sticks for most distros aren't even recognized as bootable so it's good to have *any* grub menu appear:

http://expirebox.com/download/aa491332d973f1e8a6e8d3096c1e459e.html

I had no clue what was going on there but hit ENTER and a normal-looking linux boot message-stream flashed down the screen and what I presume to be the "Live" version appeared.  I poked around a bit but wasn't really interested in exploring LXQT so much as I wanted to see if it would install on the ASUS.  So I clicked on the Installer icon and the following appeared:

http://expirebox.com/download/7e4c5803bcb97961cd4ce655c94f9487.html

Well, dang.  Not much point in having a 1G ISO if it's a netinst.  Apparently the installer build does not include all the drivers since no wifi connection as far as I could tell.

What now, boss? <g>

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: first install attempt... oops!
« Reply #1 on: 2016/01/20, 11:37:23 »
The driver for wifi should be there. To make sure, please post relevant info about your wireless chip. You can obtain that by running
Code: [Select]
lspci -vv | grep -i wireless.

greetz
devil

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2016/01/20, 12:05:18 »
I suppose that message does not appear because of lacking internet connection. The installer magic runs on some webserver-port-80-foo thing, and I've seen it before (was some time ago) that the installer/browser-combination did not come up at the first attempt. Probably a race condition at boottime (webserver not stared), or reloading the installer (or refreshing that page) could be enough.

_
(Edit: As the picture hoster you used need download of the file, I shrinked and added the picture from your 'expirebox' here)
« Last Edit: 2016/01/20, 12:10:53 by der_bud »
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2016/01/20, 12:28:38 »
Hello crankypuss,
please start to read the docs immediately.

There is an "Errata"-Thread for the dev-release in the Installationsupport subforum.
And your issue is one of the known issues. Solution: click the "try again" button.

Please let me point out, we don't have the man power to do spoonfeeding with unwilling people.
siduction is a small project and we don't have touch-optimized applications to offer.
siduction isn't targeted at bay trail tablets.

From my point of view this was my last word in this case.
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/01/20, 16:39:49 »
You may have better luck using the new dev release as it contains a more recent kernel plus non-free firmware.
« Last Edit: 2016/01/20, 23:58:29 by sunrat »

crankypuss

« Reply #5 on: 2016/01/20, 20:40:16 »
The driver for wifi should be there. To make sure, please post relevant info about your wireless chip. You can obtain that by running

Here is better information about both the chip and the driver than I can provide.  I've gone through the process of installing the driver on stretch as is described here, but thought that wouldn't be necessray with siduction:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA

I mean, if you really *want* to look at the output of lscpi on the ASUS, I could re-run the installer and presumably get up a terminal under LSQT, but somebody has already done that bit of work.  Let me know, I can drag out the ASUS and transfer it to my Dell on a USB stick, but if that can be avoided while you get better info, hey I'm lazy.

BTW...  I haven't finished going through the EFI Specification yet, but I seem to remember seeing some EFI call (C-language interface) that would tell you what kind of system it is.  If there isn't there ought to be <g> and if there is it would make life easier for installers since the details would be a table-lookup that we could add to as new systems show up.  Got a "Dell XPS13"?  Ok, here's what that one needs, same as the Debian wiki.  Just a thought.

crankypuss

« Reply #6 on: 2016/01/20, 20:44:50 »
I suppose that message does not appear because of lacking internet connection. The installer magic runs on some webserver-port-80-foo thing, and I've seen it before (was some time ago) that the installer/browser-combination did not come up at the first attempt. Probably a race condition at boottime (webserver not stared), or reloading the installer (or refreshing that page) could be enough.

_
(Edit: As the picture hoster you used need download of the file, I shrinked and added the picture from your 'expirebox' here)

1. Do you mean the installer magic runs on a local webserver?  Hmmm.  I did hit "Try Again" as I recall, but will do it again and see what happens.

2. That's the first picture I've uploaded in literally years, can you recommend a hoster and method of including photos?

Thanks.

crankypuss

« Reply #7 on: 2016/01/20, 20:49:50 »
You may have better luck using the new dev release as it contains a more recent kernel plus non-free firmware.

Sorry, I don't understand.  This is the one that I downloaded:

siduction-15.1.0-paintitblack-lxqt-i386-201601171445.iso

If there is a newer "dev" release please advise how to find/access the dev releases.  TIA.

crankypuss

« Reply #8 on: 2016/01/20, 20:52:01 »
Hello crankypuss,
please start to read the docs immediately.

There is an "Errata"-Thread for the dev-release in the Installationsupport subforum.
And your issue is one of the known issues. Solution: click the "try again" button.

Please let me point out, we don't have the man power to do spoonfeeding with unwilling people.
siduction is a small project and we don't have touch-optimized applications to offer.
siduction isn't targeted at bay trail tablets.

From my point of view this was my last word in this case.

From my point of view, I hope it *was* your last word in this case, grandma moderator, since you have nearly alienated me from contributing to siduction in any way whatsoever.

crankypuss

« Reply #9 on: 2016/01/20, 21:39:54 »

Yes, we are finding clues.  It appears that siducer is not detecting the hardware.  I saw this with stretch before installing the driver for the wifi chip; seems there was a startup message about some brcm device, if you can tell me where to find the startup messages maybe there is something to be seen.   Here is the info you requested:

siducer@siduction:~$ man lspci
siducer@siduction:~$ lspci -vv | grep wireless
siducer@siduction:~$ /usr/bin/lspci -vv | grep wireless
siducer@siduction:~$ /usr/bin/lspci -vv
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 0d)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Kernel driver in use: iosf_mbi_pci
        Kernel modules: iosf_mbi

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display (rev 0d) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 205
        Region 0: Memory at 90000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Region 2: Memory at 80000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [/size][size=256M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 1000 [/size][size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series USB xHCI (rev 0d) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series USB xHCI
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 203
        Region 0: Memory at 90800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [/size][size=64K]
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci

00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 0d)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 202
        Region 0: Memory at 90700000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [/size][size=1M]
        Region 1: Memory at 90600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Kernel driver in use: mei_txe
        Kernel modules: mei_txe

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Power Control Unit (rev 0d)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Power Control Unit
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich

siducer@siduction:~$

[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

crankypuss

« Reply #10 on: 2016/01/20, 21:51:44 »

"Try Again" did not work, nor did exiting and re-opening the 'Install' icon.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2016/01/20, 22:17:51 »
Please copy my link
lspci -vv | grep -i wirelessYou missed the -i

greetz
devil

crankypuss

« Reply #12 on: 2016/01/20, 23:28:04 »
siducer@siduction:~$ lspci -vv | grep -i wireless
siducer@siduction:~$

I'm not sure why you expect grep to return something that wasn't in the command, but I copied your command and put it on a USB stick and tried it on the ASUS as shown above.  HTH.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2016/01/20, 23:57:55 »

Sorry, I don't understand.  This is the one that I downloaded:

siduction-15.1.0-paintitblack-lxqt-i386-201601171445.iso

If there is a newer "dev" release please advise how to find/access the dev releases.  TIA.
Apologies, that is the dev release. Good luck!
Personally I wouldn't attempt to install it on a tablet, but I'm just a lowly user.

crankypuss

« Reply #14 on: 2016/01/21, 08:29:42 »
I don't view it as a tablet, as far as I'm concerned it's just a 10" netbook that comes apart at the hinge.  Good luck finding a 10" netbook these days that isn't some sort of tablet. <g>