Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Live ISO will not run past menu  (Read 5780 times)

mdavies5

[EN] Live ISO will not run past menu
« on: 2017/02/03, 01:58:58 »
Successfully created a bootable USB Stick and it boots into the menu. When proceeding there is about 5 seconds of activity on my USB stick then a black square appears and no further activity; waited 5 minutes but no further activity..
I created the USB Stick 3 times using Gnome Disks, Mint Image Writer and the dd command. Each time the same behaviour.
My hardware is a Toshiba Satellite Pro i5, 12Gb RAM, ssd drive, Intel 5500 Video.
The imahe was siduction-16.1.0-patience-xfce-amd64-201612240021.iso
 Any suggestions welcomed.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Live ISO will not run past menu
« Reply #1 on: 2017/02/03, 08:34:55 »
When using a usb stick, in grub you have th choose the option fromhd/usb instead of the standard CD/DVD (from memory).

mdavies5

« Reply #2 on: 2017/02/04, 00:11:47 »
Thanks Devil, I should have mentioned earlier that I had tried that option. However, your answer did prompt me to try every option and Memtest and Help worked ok. I then went to the Time, Language and Keyboard settings and opened each one and changed time from UTC to Australia. Language and Keyboard settings I kept the same.
Now I got past the Grub Menu with many commands scrolling and the screen finally locking on following:
X86_64_Start_Kernel
Kernel Panic - Not Synching
Attempted to kill idle task!

I also tried different USB slots (USb2 and 3). The only option I didn't try was to enter some grub parameters but this is a bit beyond my expertise.
Cheers
Michael

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/02/04, 01:12:24 »
Please provide us with the output of:
Code: [Select]
inxi -MGDNI. Please also see if the md5-sum matches

mdavies5

« Reply #4 on: 2017/02/04, 05:06:07 »
MD5 matches and inxi output below. I am downloading the KDE version and will let you know the results ater.
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite Pro R50-C v: PS562A-04L001
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Satellite Pro R50-C v: Version A0
           Bios: TOSHIBA v: Version 1.10 date: 04/21/2015
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
           Card-2: Intel Ethernet Connection (3) I218-V driver: e1000e
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 132.0GB (23.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_MZNLF128 size: 128.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: DT_101_II size: 4.0GB
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 4:59 Memory: 1001.6/11952.9MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2017/02/04, 14:04:55 »
use irc - it might be a rare problem with the release
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

mdavies5

« Reply #6 on: 2017/02/04, 23:31:31 »
FYI the KDE version has the same problem. What does "use irc" mean, apart from "internet relay chat" but I am not sure how that will help? I may need to brush up on my acronyms :)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2017/02/04, 23:39:45 »
If you join us there, we might be able to help better. A button to join #siduction is on the desktop. Please mind we are in Europe mostly and best contacted from 8 -24 CET. If noone answers in #siduction after a few minutes, join #siduction.de to wake us up. :)

mdavies5

« Reply #8 on: 2017/02/05, 00:38:42 »
Thanks Devil for the offer. I think I have wasted enough of your time which I appreciate very much. Nobody else has reported this problem so it must be unique to my system. I will try it on other systems over the next few days and report if there is any interesting news. In the meantime I can wait for the Cinnamon version and try that when it is available.

mdavies5

« Reply #9 on: 2017/02/05, 02:26:59 »
OK Final Update! The USB Stick boots perfectly well on 6 year old Lenovo Laptop. I retried on my Toshiba with every various option in the BIOS setup but no luck. I was able to appreciate Siduction until my wife kicked me off her machine ;D . Clearly it is not your problem but thanks for all your assistance

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #10 on: 2017/02/05, 02:41:07 »
you could do us a big favour - join IRC and as for a current Image for your DE - there are some new components in the maintime - such as the kernel, today a new grub arrived - so there are chances to solve this with a new build - the chances to solve this with remote analysis over the forum are not so high. And you are not alone, another user had struggles with one iso too - his stick works fine with all test machines - but refused to work on the targeted machine. So these cases are very rare, it might be that a current build will help.

And it would help us with another thing - this image will contain calamares, our new installer - and I'm happy about every machine calamares is tested on before we release it to a wider audience.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: 2017/02/05, 14:56:42 »

Quote from: mdavies5
Nobody else has reported this problem so it must be unique to my system.

As an ex-Toshiba netbook owner running siduction, I can confirm that Toshibas can be quite a PITA for running Linux in general. Depending on how bad you need it and how hard you want to work, it is possible that if you could find an older Linux ISO that will boot and install "something", then you could change repos, delete everything you don't want except the kernel and networking, and then upgrade it to Debian and siduction. Sorry, it's probably not even worth two cents.  :( 
« Last Edit: 2017/02/05, 16:38:48 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

mdavies5

« Reply #12 on: 2017/02/06, 01:29:59 »
Thanks Dibl, All comments are welcomed, that's the great thing about forums. I am running Debian8, Mint 18 and MX16 with no problems. I have also tested many other distros (it is a hobby, sad but true). This is what makes the problem so frustrating and an obsession for me to solve :( . As an aside I have an  old dekstop running Linux for years and suddenly it stopped booting any distro with a "KERNEL PANIC" message. That was what forced me to buy the Toshiba. Maybe I will dig it up and try Siduction on that.
Cheers

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: 2017/02/06, 18:20:48 »
If you have Debian stable running on that Toshiba, it should be possible to "dd" it to a suitably-sized ( i.e. larger) partition, then you will need to use gparted to enlarge the filesystem to fill the partition, possibly need to reinstall grub, and then you can simply change the repos to unstable, add siduction repos, and full-upgrade it.

"Should" being the dangerous assumption here.  But you said it was your hobby, so .....    ;D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

mdavies5

« Reply #14 on: 2017/02/07, 03:59:58 »
I already had an image of Debian8 Cinnamon so I restored it to a spare partition and changed the repos. The upgrade seemd to go without fatal errors but there were some messages about missing certificates, so I guess some non-free software may not have been included. I could boot into the new systems but the desktop was a mixture of Cinnamon with Siduction dialogs which did no display components such as text boxes and buttons. They existed because I could click an empty space where the button should be and they operated as expected.
I won't take this any further for now. I will wait for Siduction Cinnamon to be released.