Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [SOLVED] New installation of xfce 64 and 32 bit fails to start xserver after d-u  (Read 8000 times)

Offline vilde

• User
This is written on the new install after doing "mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1" as devil suggested. X started and I could log in as usual. But as devil also wrote this is only a work around. So now the question is how to fix this issue permanently?

@ michaa7, the output from uname -r is,
Code: [Select]
3.17-0.towo.3-siduction-amd64
« Last Edit: 2014/10/09, 23:32:04 by vilde »

Offline absolut

• User
is the root partition full? -> df -h

please show us your /etc/fstab
(blank any passwords, in case you have network mounts with user credentials)

Offline vilde

• User
The hard disk is not full, it's a new installation on a partition bigger than 130 gb
Code: [Select]
UUID=153012ce-9948-4b4d-ba4e-108e1b6704a7     /media/disk1part1    ext4         defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro           0    2   
UUID=b9c9563e-8088-46d2-8a5c-c020bfe007fb     none                 swap         sw                                            0    0   
UUID=92e11274-2317-46a5-b5a7-b042a1b403e7     /media/disk1part3    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
UUID=e124c8a7-5923-46a6-97e1-1af42bc341dc     /                    ext4         defaults,relatime,errors=remount-ro           0    1   
UUID=1be5d002-17e1-4e61-afc9-9ecca2983966     /media/disk2part2    ext4         auto,users,rw,exec,relatime                   0    0   
UUID=d7ef804c-c39c-485f-ab00-991fa17a2a57     none                 swap         sw                                            0    0

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
are the headers installed?

Edit: if not i would do so and activate non-free too - and than switch away from nouveau - but that may be personal taste
« Last Edit: 2014/10/09, 23:59:50 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
are the headers installed?

Edit: if not i would do so and activate non-free too - and than switch away from nouveau - but that may be personal taste
The headers are installed, non-free is enabled but I have not had any problems with nouveau before and I don't want to do extra work with nvidia drivers if not necessary. I'm running the same, not really because that is a 32 bit installation on the same computer without problem.

Offline vilde

• User
Today I did a new install on another partition om the same hard disk, did a d-u and everything works, after that I did installed again over the one with problems and everything went without problem. So I couldn't reproduce the fault.....

Before I quit this I will tell that there was some difference between the first faulty installation and the others after that works.

First difference, the hard disk had slightly different partitions, from the beginning I had an extended part without any partitions inside, before the new installations today I nedded more partitions, I did fill up the extended part with  ext4 partitions.

Second difference is that on the faulty installation I did some changes before doing d-u, this I didn't do on the new ones that works. The changes I did on the first was purging chromium and xnoise and installed iceweasel, I did also a dpkg-configure locales, took away alot of locales that I don't need and changed the default to Sv.se as I usually do. But there was some trouble with fonts in the console after that, the swedish letters åäö was not visible, maybe something went wrong there?

I do think everything else was done the same, on all three installations I did the same during d-u, sad no to all new configuration files except lightdm.conf that I sad yes to.

The one and only more difference between the faulty installation and the working ones are of cause that some packages in sid and maybe siduction are newer.
« Last Edit: 2014/10/10, 13:31:38 by vilde »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
I solved the issue. Looking into journalctl deeper revealed that the UUID for / in fstab had changed. No idea what made it change, but it did. Setting the right UUID in fstab made the notebook boot normal.

greetz
devil

Offline vilde

• User
Ok, then we can mark this as solved for now, thanks everybody for helping,  :)
« Last Edit: 2014/10/10, 17:22:53 by vilde »