Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Hi! Its pretty quiet here!  (Read 8732 times)

beje

[EN] Hi! Its pretty quiet here!
« on: 2020/06/22, 16:17:39 »
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself! I am a guy who is looking to distro-jump and has sniffed a long time around siduction. I will be jumping from Xubuntu and Linux Mint XFCE and I am still wondering if I am doing the right thing... What I am looking for is a distro that has the possibility to install newer packages than Debian Testing while still being in the Debian universe which I do not desire to leave for the moment.is siduction offering this?
I just spinned it on a spare machine and I will anyway test it in the next days...As far as I can see it has the debian feel and freedom of choice which comes with advantages and disadvantages... I forgot to say that I am also looking for a distro that just works and gets out of the way.
My workflow is mainly executing tasks in browser and in office apps (libreoffice and pdfs mainly) and a bit wee of programming (nowadays python, web dev, some dockers here and there for the self hosted services)
One last question before I submit this first post: why is siduction categorized as dormant on the distrowatch?
Thanks!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Hi! Its pretty quiet here!
« Reply #1 on: 2020/06/22, 16:46:40 »
Hi beje,

to answer your last question first: we have not had an official release in a while. That is what happens on Distrowatch. If you install fresh, please use https://isobuilds.siduction.org/. These are newer than the last official release. (the plasma image has a broken graphical installer.  If that is your flavour of choice, you need to use cli-installer instead. Other than that we are in a state of corona hiatus, so it might seem quieter than usual. You can reach us on IRC though (european timezones mostly).

The only thing siduction needs to be happy is dist-upgrades as often as possible.

beje

« Reply #2 on: 2020/06/22, 16:55:04 »
The only thing siduction needs to be happy is dist-upgrades as often as possible.
Is there a reason for it?
Is it cleaning the way for the new packages refreshing the dependencies?
Thanks for the other clarifications!
I have installed without difficulty the XFCE DE from the 18.03 iso and to upgrade and dist-upgrade. Now (almost) everything is up to date.
I will move part of my workflow on the test machine to see how it is running. I miss the "polishness" of the downstream distros but I also like that I need to get my hands a bit dirty into bring it to the comfort level...

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2020/06/22, 20:56:18 »
Myself, I dist-upgrade about once a week and have not seen any issues. Most of the problems recently have been with KDE I think. I also use XFCE4 so it doesn't effect me. Sid can be a bit of a moving target sometimes and occasionally you will get a bug in a package or a conflict. I just ride it out and wait a bit an these issues usually get ironed out pretty quickly. If your going to run Debian then Sid is where you need to be. Stable gets stale real fast and Testing seems to have more issues than I want to tackle all the time. Besides, the Siduction devs make it a pleasure to run. Just watch the forum for upgrade warnings before you upgrade.

beje

« Reply #4 on: 2020/06/23, 17:31:48 »
This dist-upgrade is newish to me... I mean I was not using it actively... Is there a list/article of best practices that I could read? Thanks!
p.s. I have took the leap of faith and installed on my daily driver. so far so good!  ;D

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2020/06/23, 18:39:17 »
There are several post here explaining what and why to do. First thing is never d-u in X. While in X I will:
Code: [Select]
#apt update && apt dist-upgrade -dThis will download the upgrades but not install them. I then log out and switch to VT2(ctl-alt-f2) and log in as root and:
init 3This will kill the login manager. You will need to log in again as root and then proceed with the upgrade:
apt dist-upgradeThe upgrade will continue from where you left off in X. When it completes and if you don't have any "old library" or "new kernel" messages asking for a reboot then you can:
init 5This will bring you back to the login manager but if you do get messages:
rebootPretty painless really.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2020/06/23, 22:23:00 »
.........First thing is never d-u in X.................................
I don't know if something new have come up, but not d-u in X?, it's several years ago I quit going out from X before doing a d-u.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2020/06/23, 22:28:13 »
As I understand it, it's what's recommended.

beje

« Reply #8 on: 2020/06/24, 09:34:02 »
Ok. Noted. Exiting X cannot hurt...
One question. I try to install chromium and I get the following error:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 chromium : Depends: libavcodec58 (>= 7:4.2)
 libavformat58 : Depends: libavcodec58 (= 7:4.3-2)
                 Depends: libchromaprint1 (>= 1.3.2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Isn't suppose to be 7:4.3-2 > 7:4.2? The version 7:4.3-2 is already installed...
apt show libavcodec58
Package: libavcodec58
Version: 7:4.3-2
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Source: ffmpeg
Maintainer: Debian Multimedia Maintainers <debian-multimedia@lists.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 14,7 MB
Any indication why this is happening and how can I proceed further? Is there a section of the forum where I should post such things?Thanks and please be kind to the siduction-beginner :D
P.S. I wrote so many times 42 to validate my posts here, that now I really need to read this book... actually I am really sorry that I miss it when I was a younger...

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #9 on: 2020/06/24, 10:39:38 »
I can confirm the problem with the chromium package.

don@dibl-HP350:~$ sudo apt policy libchromaprint1
libchromaprint1:
  Installed: 1.5.0-1
  Candidate: 1.5.0-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.5.0-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
don@dibl-HP350:~$ sudo apt install -s libchromaprint1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libchromaprint1 is already the newest version (1.5.0-1).
libchromaprint1 set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

If you want the chrome browser, I suggest you download SRWare Iron. It is chromium, with all settings for maximum privacy. Use dpkg to install it.

P.S. This is the type of question that would be appropriate for the "Software" forum above.
« Last Edit: 2020/06/24, 10:43:56 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

beje

« Reply #10 on: 2020/06/24, 11:27:10 »
Thanks for the recommendation! I will give it a spin.
There is a sense of  humour/sarcasm there: the default search in iron is done with bing... man... :-)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: 2020/06/24, 17:19:31 »
Quote from: beje
...the default search in iron is done with bing ...

Right -- it took me 10 seconds to change it to StartPage.  :-)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #12 on: 2020/06/24, 17:33:03 »
I don't use chromium, but If you downgrade ffmpeg,  chromium does not complain

You don't have to exit x anymore for a du

A dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade) is a must in sid, don't go any longer than 2 weeks (that is pushing it)

sid updates 4 times a day.

apt update; apt full-upgrade -d -y
Welcome to siduction

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

beje

« Reply #13 on: 2020/06/24, 18:11:11 »
chromium I use as a second browser and only to see how it renders some pages and for some secondary logins on some sites (I am lazy, I know, and this was the easiest solution at hand that works on most of the setups).
Now I have installed Iron which should do the job...

Welcome to siduction

Thanks! is nice to be here and I plan to stay as each distro hopping / new setup is costing me time and nerves.
Now with me here, and my son upgraded to 20.04 Xubuntu I will not touch my desktops for a while. The home lab servers are humming anyway quietly on debian chewing whatever I am throwing at them... ;-)

An administrative/forum question: is the quote button broken, or I am using it wrongly? I have tried it from both Firefox and Iron.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #14 on: 2020/06/24, 18:28:43 »
Yes, it is broken, there is a workaround iirc, this moment I just can't remember what it is (I am heavily medicated at the moment sorry) maybe someone else can chime in

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck