Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 80032 times)

holgerw

Re: [URGENT] GCC 5 fallout incoming
« Reply #15 on: 2015/08/02, 20:50:18 »
Hello @Santa, hello @devil,

I fetch siduction flavours of lxde, lxqt, kde and xfce in Version indiansummer amd64 now. Tomorrow I'll start with testing lxde, then lxqt, then kde and then xfce, the steps for each flavour will be following:
1. Installing flavour xxx-indiansumer amd64
2. Trying to make dist-upgrade
3. Trying to add some stuff like libreoffice, claws-mail and audacity
4. Testing, if base apps work (Filemanager, Texteditor, libreoffice, mailprogramm, browser)

I'll report the results.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Online devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #16 on: 2015/08/02, 21:14:38 »
Sounds like a good workflow.

greetz
devil

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2015/08/02, 23:40:11 »
Do we have lost all of Debian sid for the next half year?
if it takes the time as in Gentoo, e.g.:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548784#c13
:(
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2015/08/02, 23:57:43 »
If you look at all the affected packages down the left column of this page, and then look at the list of collisions at the bottom, you can get an idea of the size and scope of the job to make the complete transition.
That is an extensive list. Wow... Thanks for tracking that down. It really underscores Devil's comment about it not being a short-lived problem.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #19 on: 2015/08/03, 01:39:53 »
a sufficient amount of popcorn and beer will help a lot in the next days :)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

holgerw

« Reply #20 on: 2015/08/03, 07:43:02 »
Hello,
I think, during this period a Debian Jessie can be an alternative tool for working with a computer.

Kind regards, Holger

Online devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #21 on: 2015/08/03, 09:43:46 »
What is wrong with a sid/siduction install that you just don't upgrade for the time being?

greetz
devil

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2015/08/03, 10:56:15 »
The main issue here would be lack of libreoffice. Justing waiting . . . .

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2015/08/03, 13:37:45 »
its not just libre office, right now gnome-shell and other parts of gnome want to be removed as well. 

tux

« Reply #24 on: 2015/08/03, 23:40:19 »
What is wrong with a sid/siduction install that you just don't upgrade for the time being?
We need install security updates at least.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #25 on: 2015/08/03, 23:42:50 »
oha - do you mean the things from http://security.debian.org sid main contrib non-free ?
« Last Edit: 2015/08/03, 23:47:38 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

holgerw

« Reply #26 on: 2015/08/03, 23:49:50 »

greetz
devil

Hello Ferdinand,

I refer to Debian Stable for such situations, when something happens during a dist-upgrade, which breaks the installed siduction system.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #27 on: 2015/08/03, 23:59:03 »
there are four possible ways in such situations:
Code: [Select]
1.   doing nothing (prefered)
2.1. apt update; apt upgrade
2.2  apt-get update; apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs
3.   apt-get dist-upgrade (and lettings some packages go)

We suggest and prefer 1! If one choose a way that differ from (1) one should have a good backup and should be familar with restoring from backups. We will not support that, so you are on your own. But it may work without flaws.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #28 on: 2015/08/04, 01:17:18 »
Quote from: melmarker
there are four possible ways in such situations:
Code: [Select]1.   doing nothing (prefered)
2.1. apt update; apt upgrade
2.2  apt-get update; apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs
3.   apt-get dist-upgrade (and lettings some packages go)

We suggest and prefer 1! If one choose a way that differ from (1) one should have a good backup and should be familar with restoring from backups. We will not support that, so you are on your own. But it may work without flaws.

+1

I agree with 1, doing nothing

119 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 13 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 201 MB of archives.
After this operation, 160 MB of additional disk space will be used.

It is early yet, probably get worse after a few days.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #29 on: 2015/08/04, 01:25:22 »
@piper: i think we communicate our position very clear - but every user is free to do what $user want to. Depending on the installed packages things could become worse or not - nobody knows. I for myself has decided to not care about and take the packages as they come in. And i have no backup. So who cares - one should take a choice and have to live with this choice afterwards. As we are all more or less  responsible adults i see no problem ... :)